• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal feeding question

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has trouble with feeding there arboreal T's and knows what to do to get them to eat a little easier. Do they descend from the top to come look for food on the bottom? Just curious onto there behavior and how they hunt for food. I have a orange mouth, a pink toe and a suntiger.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
you can tong feed them or place the prey close to them and they should grab it as long as that are not in pre-molt, but they are fully capable of hunting for their food. so you can just place it in the tank and they will catch it when they want to.

TJB13

3 Year Member
I have only had my pinktoe for a couple weeks. I would put a cricket in close by and she wouldn't go for it, I did this a few times because I like to watch the kill. Anyways I gave up and just left the cricket in there. I didn't see the cricket in the morning so all went well. I rarely see my pinktoe, she snuggles into a tiny nook of a fake branch. Almost seems like she wouldn't fit. But she loves it and I get to see 4 pinktoes...that's it haha.

TJB13

3 Year Member
I have only had my pinktoe for a couple weeks. I would put a cricket in close by and she wouldn't go for it, I did this a few times because I like to watch the kill. Anyways I gave up and just left the cricket in there. I didn't see the cricket in the morning so all went well. I rarely see my pinktoe, she snuggles into a tiny nook of a fake branch. Almost seems like she wouldn't fit. But she loves it and I get to see 4 pinktoes...that's it haha.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I just throw a cricket in, the cricket wanders around and next thing I know I leave for a while come back and I can't find a cricket. I would really advise against tong feeding, just throw the cricket in, if your T is hungry it will eat, if not it will not eat. Take the prey out after 24 hours and try again in a few days.

If it's hungry it will go where the food is.

entomology

3 Year Member
just place the feeders inside the enclosure and the spider will find it no problem. Their mechanics were designed to find their prey very easy so whether you use a forceps to feed or just release inside the choice is yours but be careful arboreal s move very quickly when u feed by forceps.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our Avic goes and sits at the bottom of her 'tree trunk' and hunts. That's how I always know when she's ready for some grub lol

Latest posts