• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aphonopelma seemanni Questions

Alyssa Martin

Hey again.

Sorry as I don't know where to put this thread so feel free to move it :)

I know I previously was thinking of getting the Mexican Red Knee but I've seem to drifted towards getting a Aphonopelma seemanni.

So I was wandering the LLLReptile website and saw they have a Aphonopelma seemanni with a missing leg. For whatever reason I'm inclined to purchase one. I like the Aphonopelma seemanni species best out of the ones I've researched and seeing a leg regenerate might be interesting.

I've heard mixed things on LLLReptiles website however, so I don't know if I will purchase one from there. Seems people like em or hate them for their tarantula shipping methods so idk. We have a local reptile store (who actually takes care of their animals) who has a guy that specializes in tarantula's so I might buy one there

Regardless how does this setup sound?

Creative Habitat 15BT - Dimensions 20" 12" 9". It doesn't have doors so I would just fill up most of the habitat so there can't be any falling. http://www.lllreptile.com/products/21-creative-habitat-15bt-glass-cage

I would use eco earth, vermiculite, and peat moss, that way it can burrow and all that.

Then a few fake plants and a cork flat or two.

And of course a water bowl.

Main diet of Dubia's (since I have a colony for my frogs already) with variety mixed in every once in awhile.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, I have no experience with the species, I live in Australia so I can only keep our natives but to get the ball rolling I can offer a couple of insights.
The first thing you'll be told about is the danger of claws being caught in screen tops, a search of the forum will reveal a few ways around this, replacing the screen with acrylic or similar being the most popular but there are also methods to make the screen safer.
The second thing is that in order to make the substrate firm so that it holds burrows well it needs to be a bit more moist than is desirable and it needs to be compacted in stages, add a couple of inches of loose substrate at a time and compact it as you go rather than adding the lot at once and then compacting it, it will be much firmer that way.
The rest I'll leave to the experts :)

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
For the vendor, I'm iffy on lllrep too, I got mine from junglejoe, if you live in new york then he'll personally deliver it(from what he told me)
Vendors: JungleJoe, KenTheBugGuy, Pinchers&Pokies(A. Hentzi)

Substrate/Tank
: I use 6-7 inches of damp cocofibre in a 10 gallon though she doesn't make deep burrows so I took some out,
If you can afford it then get a tank that doesn't have a screen lid then get it, they sometimes like to climb and can get their claws stuck.

Food
: tbh anything but I use dubias cause they cheap,easy to breed(if you have heating), they eat anything I give my roaches oranges,bread,apples,cabbage,rice(uncooked),sometimes peanut butter as a treat, For a water dish cause they're dumb and will drown in open water, you can get water crystals, I just put their cup lid(the one that has holes) over a regular cup lid and that keeps them from drowning, don't need humidity or substrate but I use puppy pads and cardboard so they can hide under it.

Always leave your t alone for 24hrs-2days for it to get settled, my seemanni takes 24hrs to settle down but you're t could take 42 hrs or less
They're pretty chill.But hella stubborn.

this isn't the greatest care but it's enough to keep it alive and healthy.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just through being a member of various invert groups and forums I know that KenTheBugGuy has a great reputation, his name comes up time and time again on international groups and forums , of course I've never dealt with him personally but I've heard good things over the last couple of years.

Alyssa Martin

Hi, I have no experience with the species, I live in Australia so I can only keep our natives but to get the ball rolling I can offer a couple of insights.
The first thing you'll be told about is the danger of claws being caught in screen tops, a search of the forum will reveal a few ways around this, replacing the screen with acrylic or similar being the most popular but there are also methods to make the screen safer.
The second thing is that in order to make the substrate firm so that it holds burrows well it needs to be a bit more moist than is desirable and it needs to be compacted in stages, add a couple of inches of loose substrate at a time and compact it as you go rather than adding the lot at once and then compacting it, it will be much firmer that way.
The rest I'll leave to the experts :)

I couldn't see what the lid looked like in the image's provided but I will definitely be getting an acrylic one should the cage arrive with an unsuitable lid.

Thanks so much for the information on the substrate!

I will be looking into KenTheBugGuy for sure.

Thanks so much!!!

Alyssa Martin

For the vendor, I'm iffy on lllrep too, I got mine from junglejoe, if you live in new york then he'll personally deliver it(from what he told me)
Vendors: JungleJoe, KenTheBugGuy, Pinchers&Pokies(A. Hentzi)

Substrate/Tank
: I use 6-7 inches of damp cocofibre in a 10 gallon though she doesn't make deep burrows so I took some out,
If you can afford it then get a tank that doesn't have a screen lid then get it, they sometimes like to climb and can get their claws stuck.

Food
: tbh anything but I use dubias cause they cheap,easy to breed(if you have heating), they eat anything I give my roaches oranges,bread,apples,cabbage,rice(uncooked),sometimes peanut butter as a treat, For a water dish cause they're dumb and will drown in open water, you can get water crystals, I just put their cup lid(the one that has holes) over a regular cup lid and that keeps them from drowning, don't need humidity or substrate but I use puppy pads and cardboard so they can hide under it.

Always leave your t alone for 24hrs-2days for it to get settled, my seemanni takes 24hrs to settle down but you're t could take 42 hrs or less
They're pretty chill.But hella stubborn.

this isn't the greatest care but it's enough to keep it alive and healthy.

I was considering LLLReptile, but I was reading further reviews and decided against it. I like the products but would rather buy from a highly rated tarantula seller for live animals.

I will use 7 inches for sure. I actually think I may just use my spare 10 gallon for now. I've seen some nice enclosures with acrylic lids but can't seem to find one high enough and long enough. Feel free to suggest if you know any with similar dimensions. I for sure want to avoid having a stuck tarantula.

Good to hear that dubia's work well! I actually have a colony that is producing really well so I figured I would use that as a staple.

I would definely leave the T alone for several days. I'm more of a look vs handling T person, so I doubt I would be messing with it. I'm assuming you mean handling it, and not leaving it in the container I get it in.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
I was considering LLLReptile, but I was reading further reviews and decided against it. I like the products but would rather buy from a highly rated tarantula seller for live animals.

I will use 7 inches for sure. I actually think I may just use my spare 10 gallon for now. I've seen some nice enclosures with acrylic lids but can't seem to find one high enough and long enough. Feel free to suggest if you know any with similar dimensions. I for sure want to avoid having a stuck tarantula.

Good to hear that dubia's work well! I actually have a colony that is producing really well so I figured I would use that as a staple.

I would definely leave the T alone for several days. I'm more of a look vs handling T person, so I doubt I would be messing with it. I'm assuming you mean handling it, and not leaving it in the container I get it in.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
A 10 gallon will do well for an adult seemanni, they don't really need anything larger than that and leaving it alone for a couple of days is for it to get settled and web a bit.

Latest posts