• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aphonopelma Chalcodes First Time Pairing

spiderpaws

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm a tarantula lover getting ready for my first tarantula pairing in a couple weeks. I've researched as much as I can about the genus and tarantula breeding in general. Any pointers from experienced breeders would be greatly appreciated :) I am also looking to sell the slings from my pairings, so message me if you are interested :) Thank you so much!!!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beautiful species of tarantula...I have a breeding pair myself. However not a money maker...you'll end up with hundreds of slings that you will have to give away. Remember these can be wild caught all over most of the state's for free...

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I echo Arachnoclown. Ken the bug guy has been selling 3+ inch chalcodes for years. He simply goes out and catches some in Tuscan.....but they are awesome spiders. Good luck on your breeding attempt Spiderpaws. I’d be interested in some slings.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not trying to discourage you in breeding them...you sound like breeding is what you want to do. Just want to help you out. Ive been in the hobby over 35 years there are certain species that are on the cheap side due to over breeding and being easy to obtain. A.Chalcodes, B.vagans, A. Avic and A. metallica are often given away because they dont sell. Thats why Petsmarts/petcos all over the country sell these Ts. They are all great to learn to breed from but big money Ts are gonna be more profitable.(if thats your angle) I don't want you to get overwhelmed with 500 Chalcodes slings that you are stuck caring for. They are also slow growing so large ones are more in demand...many people dont want to wait 7-8 years to have a mature T. Just a little info...the last expo I was at in August had 1/2" Chalcodes slings 10 for $20.00 They can have huge eggsacks...something to really consider. Again I'm not trying to discourage you, just sharing with a fellow T enthusiast. Good luck;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Captive bred critters are always more desirable. For one thing, you can describe the temperments of the parents, and many other advantages.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first memories of tarantulas are of me chasing chalcodes around the desert. Good luck with the pairing (Arachnoclown as well). Our native species here are often overlooked, and chalcodes are awesome. Who doesn't like blondes? Also, I too would be interested in a sling. Or 20. I have no problem waiting for them to grow :D