• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aparently I'm a Shroom Farmer

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
Woke up and of course I had to go check on my babies. Aaaaand saw this wee lil mushroom sprouted overnight INSIDE my baby enclosure! I baked that substrate (topsoil) prior to putting it into the enclosure!

full

shroom-farmin.6174

Last edited:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Picture isn't showing for me.

I had some weird little yellow fungus pop up overnight in one of my enclosures. I didn't get a pic. I just removed it all with a spoon.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Shrooms need moist soil and high nitrogen to feed off of and you usually get that ftrom decomposing matter. Tarantula waste and food parts can create the decomposing nitrogen so you may just need to do a little house cleaning to rmove those conditions.

Also, shrooms release millions of spores so if the conditions stay the same the shrooms will come back.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I get that type of shroom popping up all over my back yard every spring. I pull them out and chuck them.

Changing subjects: That is an awesome tarantula! What species is it? I don't want to guess and be wrong.

KIM QUY

3 Year Member
I get that type of shroom popping up all over my back yard every spring. I pull them out and chuck them.

Changing subjects: That is an awesome tarantula! What species is it? I don't want to guess and be wrong.
She is my favorite lady right now. A B. Vagans. Got her as a surprise freebie and almost traded her out since I had a cap of 2 tarantulas at the time. My very understanding boyfriend let me keep her. She was never in my list of must have tarantulas. Such an underrated species. She is oh so calm, eat voraciously and attack the mealie with gusto. And the colors, oh God, those velvety black legs and that cute red rump. I love her.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I love the color on the prosoma, the shiny legs and I love how they are proportioned. I just picked up two of these a couple of months ago, but mine are still pretty small. I hope they grow up to be as gorgeous as yours is. I love their personalities. Always out, not skittish at all, and they are savages at feeding time. I debated whether or not I should get them, but since getting to know them, I'm really glad I did. Seeing pics of yours makes me even more happy that I took the plunge.