• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone know the genus?

Is this a Goliath birdeater/genus?

• T. Blondi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T. Stirmi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The hobbyist I bought him from told me he was a Goliath birdeater, didn't specify a genus. Myself and other people don't think that it is though. I've had him for about four years now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-15-23-46-47.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-15-23-46-47.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190317_200315.jpg
    20190317_200315.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190319_051947.jpg
    IMG_20190319_051947.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_2019-03-19-05-00-57~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-19-05-00-57~2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
The hobbyist I bought him from told me he was a Goliath birdeater, didn't specify a genus. Myself and other people don't think that it is though. I've had him for about four years now.
Its a birdeater but not a goliath. Lasiodora parahybana i believe, but still a good one. I honestly like Lp more then any Theraphosa anyway, it's not gonna get quite as big but big none the less and fatter. Plus i think they're better looking in my opinion and not as much husbandry requirements.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Is it normal for that species to grow that slow? Most sites say they are fast growers lile my Acanthoscurria geniculata
Just depends on feeding and temperature, my Lp grew like weed but that's when i power fed, i got her to that size very quick by feeding almost daily, my klugi i took a different approach and had her for a couple years and still only around 4". I got my genics the same time as the klugi and it's bigger then my genics are now so it is faster growing in my experience.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Here's a pic of my Lp and klugi for comparison.

L.parahybana
20190505_172044.jpg

L.klugi
20190505_172010.jpg
Now my klugi doesn't have its full coloration just yet but her abdomen is red already. Pic below is my Lp at that size and you can see a lot different.
Screenshot_2019-05-05-17-31-38(1).png

spodermin

"birdeater" means nothing and the only genus I consider "goliath" is theraphosa which this is definitely not. I recognize this spider but I can't cite the name. Perhaps Pamphobetus sp. but I honestly couldn't say for certain. Good luck

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
"birdeater" means nothing and the only genus I consider "goliath" is theraphosa which this is definitely not. I recognize this spider but I can't cite the name. Perhaps Pamphobetus sp. but I honestly couldn't say for certain. Good luck
I don't know for sure but every one of those pictures look a lot like my Lp did over the course of her life. I've never seen any pamphobetus species look like that, im no professional but that carapace just screams Lasiodora to me, and technically your right "birdeater" means nothing but i use that term loosely as "BIGASS SPIDER", anything that exceeds 8" in leg span i consider a birdeater. Apparently im not the only one because i didn't make up their common names either.

spodermin

I don't know for sure but every one of those pictures look a lot like my Lp did over the course of her life. I've never seen any pamphobetus species look like that, im no professional but that carapace just screams Lasiodora to me, and technically your right "birdeater" means nothing but i use that term loosely as "BIGASS SPIDER", anything that exceeds 8" in leg span i consider a birdeater. Apparently im not the only one because i didn't make up their common names either.

This is an L.P. the same size as OPs spider. It is not a Lasiodora.

Birdeater doesn't even mean an 8" spider, it refers to any new world that has an adult size of >5" the same way that "baboon" is used for old worlds. (It literally means nothing)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190506_140847.jpg
    Screenshot_20190506_140847.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 6

spodermin

Alright I'm removing my air of certainty and saying this could be Lasiora although I still don't think so. It doesn't look nearly hairy enough is my main reasoning, but the more I look at the pic the more I could see it possibly being Lasiodora in disguise till the next few molts. The carapace certainly does resemble Lasiodora. Plus with the sac count of Lasiodora, it makes that a fair wager in any circumstance given the situation

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Alright I'm removing my air of certainty and saying this could be Lasiora although I still don't think so. It doesn't look nearly hairy enough is my main reasoning, but the more I look at the pic the more I could see it possibly being Lasiodora in disguise till the next few molts. The carapace certainly does resemble Lasiodora. Plus with the sac count of Lasiodora, it makes that a fair wager in any circumstance given the situation
Yeah like i said im not 100% certain it's a Lp but that carapace and overall build just look like it to me. Lasis are probably my favorite genus so if I'm wrong go ahead and metaforically smack me upside the head lol here is a comparison of mine and the one of above so you can see what im seeing.
Screenshot_2019-05-06-10-13-47(1).png
notice there are some differences but mine is probably older and has all of its adult coloration. I also have a pretty good camera on my phone so resolution could have a play in things.

spodermin

Yeah like i said im not 100% certain it's a Lp but that carapace and overall build just look like it to me. Lasis are probably my favorite genus so if I'm wrong go ahead and metaforically smack me upside the head lol here is a comparison of mine and the one of above so you can see what im seeing. View attachment 37060notice there are some differences but mine is probably older and has all of its adult coloration. I also have a pretty good camera on my phone so resolution could have a play in things.

Yeah I definitely see what you're seeing but here are my thoughts

For Lasiodora:
-carapace
-leg colorations in the most recent photo (start of darkening of tops)
-sling colorations (stripes)

Against Lasiodora:
-growth rate (4 years old and still looks like that?)
-lack of hair (although could be pics)
-carapace shape alone doesn't prove anything (see picture below of phormictopus that looks very much like OPs spider)

OP called it "he" in the original post. If it is indeed a male, I am going back to 100% not a Lasiodora because they put on crazy size during young molts

Attachments

• phospCubaCienFjuv.jpg
    phospCubaCienFjuv.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
This is an L.P. the same size as OPs spider. It is not a Lasiodora.

Birdeater doesn't even mean an 8" spider, it refers to any new world that has an adult size of >5" the same way that "baboon" is used for old worlds. (It literally means nothing)
I know it's just names that are just made up used to help everyday people identify what they are, but it becomes confusing and muddys things up. That's why most of us hobbiest hate common names but i still use that term because most of my larger NW have that in the name. Goliath birdeater, salmon pink birdeater, bahia scarlet birdeater, Brazilian black and white birdeater ect. Not saying im right but im not the only one either. My friends ask me which ones a birdeater and i say there are many;)

spodermin

I know it's just names that are just made up used to help everyday people identify what they are, but it becomes confusing and muddys things up. That's why most of us hobbiest hate common names but i still use that term because most of my larger NW have that in the name. Goliath birdeater, salmon pink birdeater, bahia scarlet birdeater, Brazilian black and white birdeater ect. Not saying im right but im not the only one either. My friends ask me which ones a birdeater and i say there are many;)

Yeah I always use the birdeater suffix when talking to non spider people for dramatic effect. Common names are ridiculous, especially when buying from a petstore. I bought a """mexican red knee"""" sling at the petstore the other day because I'm like 99% sure it's B. emilia lol. I also once bought a """"""mexican red knee""""" that turned out to be Nhandu coloratovillosus. It was an adult though so I knew right away lmao

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Yeah I always use the birdeater suffix when talking to non spider people for dramatic effect. Common names are ridiculous, especially when buying from a petstore. I bought a """mexican red knee"""" sling at the petstore the other day because I'm like 99% sure it's B. emilia lol. I also once bought a """"""mexican red knee""""" that turned out to be Nhandu coloratovillosus. It was an adult though so I knew right away lmao
Yeah pet stores are the worst with that i actually seen the biggest Lp ever at a small exotics store and it was listed a goliath. They wanted $300 for it because they were under the impression it was T.blondi. I told them they were out of their minds lol tried to talk em down on it but wouldn't budge. I felt bad for it. It was as big as my size 13 sneaker and was cramped in a 2.5 gal short tank with no substrate and a rotted pinky mouse in the corner. Needless to say i never went back there.

Latest posts