• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone keep ur molts?

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Although I have a notebook where I have every detail of every T I have noted, like purchase date and size, molt dates and size differences, etc.... I also keep every molt of every T I own. Each T has its own vial or container for the molts. I don't kno why but at least i can visibly see the size changes in my Ts and my girls like holding n showing em. Anyone else?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
used to, but we ran out of room and vials to keep them in. So we only keep them now for sexing and keep them if they're in tact enough to be proof. It weirded me out having all those molts on the shelf ;) but at the same time it was cool to be able to see the size changes.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
used to, but we ran out of room and vials to keep them in. So we only keep them now for sexing and keep them if they're in tact enough to be proof. It weirded me out having all those molts on the shelf ;) but at the same time it was cool to be able to see the size changes.
Yea I'm sure after years and years of keeping it'll b hard to continue to collect them. Most of my Ts are slings and juvies with only 10 or so adults, so it's not so bad yet.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Although I have a notebook where I have every detail of every T I have noted, like purchase date and size, molt dates and size differences, etc.... I also keep every molt of every T I own. Each T has its own vial or container for the molts. I don't kno why but at least i can visibly see the size changes in my Ts and my girls like holding n showing em. Anyone else?
I most certainly do....lol. I have my large skin from he Geniculata mounted in a glass frame and for the slings, I have them in tiny vials for hose "1st moult" moments. Also have a tub full of various skins. See below for examples. If that makes us weird, fine I can live with that lol
20160222_001850.jpg
20151230_145717.jpg

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I most certainly do....lol. I have my large skin from he Geniculata mounted in a glass frame and for the slings, I have them in tiny vials for hose "1st moult" moments. Also have a tub full of various skins. See below for examples. If that makes us weird, fine I can live with that lol
View attachment 19854 View attachment 19855
How did you go about framing? And with the jar is it just air init or like alcohol?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How did you go about framing? And with the jar is it just air init or like alcohol?
For the big one:
Just a glass frame where there is basically a box an inch or so deep with a glass insert at the front. Got it from a store in the UK, called IKEA. The skin was taken when fresh and a small piece of aquarium foam inserted into the Carapace and abdomen to plump them up. Then tiny blobs of glue (I used gorilla glue) on the feet and under the Carapce and abdomen sp that it sticks in the desored pose. Note. Gorilla glue expands so craft glue probably better
For the little one:
I bought 10 tiny vials from eBay. They have a rubber cork. All I did was put a fresh moult from a sling and put the cork lid on sealing the air inside. No preservatives at all. Still looks like the pic about 8 months on. None of the legs or anything have snapped off and that's despite it being picked up and along with he big one, a regular in show and tells at my daughtef's school.....☺
Hope this helps inspire you......lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I want to keep the molts or frame them when they get bigger. I log everything as it is,haha.
I have a spreadsheet that covers scientific name, common name, pet name, date purchased, cost, classifications for arboreal/terrestrial, OW/NW, age (sling, juvie, sub adult, adult) and sex along with a plotter for each month to show when each moults that produces a number of charts and tables as well as my fave bit, a chart with the dates and names of moults that's is the shape of a web......lol
I love spreadsheets.....lmao. even have that on a mug at work.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the big one:
Just a glass frame where there is basically a box an inch or so deep with a glass insert at the front. Got it from a store in the UK, called IKEA. The skin was taken when fresh and a small piece of aquarium foam inserted into the Carapace and abdomen to plump them up. Then tiny blobs of glue (I used gorilla glue) on the feet and under the Carapce and abdomen sp that it sticks in the desored pose. Note. Gorilla glue expands so craft glue probably better
For the little one:
I bought 10 tiny vials from eBay. They have a rubber cork. All I did was put a fresh moult from a sling and put the cork lid on sealing the air inside. No preservatives at all. Still looks like the pic about 8 months on. None of the legs or anything have snapped off and that's despite it being picked up and along with he big one, a regular in show and tells at my daughtef's school.....☺
Hope this helps inspire you......lol
Thank you! definitely helpful information

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I have a spreadsheet that covers scientific name, common name, pet name, date purchased, cost, classifications for arboreal/terrestrial, OW/NW, age (sling, juvie, sub adult, adult) and sex along with a plotter for each month to show when each moults that produces a number of charts and tables as well as my fave bit, a chart with the dates and names of moults that's is the shape of a web......lol
I love spreadsheets.....lmao. even have that on a mug at work.
lol I didn't get into it in my op but me too, just about.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I keep a general log of size when i got them, who ate on feeding days,who molted,who was rehoused, who went in to premolt, who buried them selfs, As well as breeder they came from. I only have 6 and no doubles yet. But i can see myself havig multilple suntigers ,lol.