• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone keep C*ckroaches?

Gardez

Hello:)

Is there anyone who keep C*ckroaches?
As pet food or also as pet. Which specie do you have? And why exactly these one? I earned experience for example with Gromphadorina and Lucihormetica. They look realy beautiful and make good as pets.

- If you don't understand my English please tell me -

Last edited by a moderator:

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dubia roaches. They grow through a wide range of sizes from hatching to adults, making perfect for people with many spiders of various sizes and in our case they are also perfect for our assassin bugs, scorpions, scolopendras and bearded dragon. They are not able to climb clean plastic or glass, making them very easy to raise and handle at feeding time. They have very little humidity need, eat a very large variety of food and have a very decent life span. Male and female are different in shape and colors, making them easy to select when feeding your Ts. Best of all they are extremely nutritious and I have never witness a single T being harmed by one.
They are not the fastest to reproduce and in growth but if you start with a higher enough number, they will provide food for a lot of Ts as they will reproduce over time. I also find them a lot less smelly compared to other roaches colonies I had. Last but not least, they are also quite tolerant if they are exposed to cold temperatures as long as it is not more than a few days but would not survive a winter if they were to escape. These are Argentinian wood ****roaches and won’t infest your house if a couple escape (they are also fairly slow).
The one thing I would say is a bit disappointing is that they are expert at sensing danger and playing possum. Often I drop one in front of a T and she jumps on it right away but before she could decide where to bite, it will flatten himself and stop moving and can stay like this until the T leaves empty handed. One way to go around it is to place them on their back as they will start moving their legs to try to flip over. But it is definitely not as captivating as a crickets or red runners feeding.
You have many different alternatives but in my case they are covering the largest amount of my needs. I hope this helps.
Cheers.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have various species of roaches that are kept for feeders but also Madagascar hissing roaches that we keep for pets :)
The hissers were originally bought to be used to feed tarantulas but really like them as they are easy to handle and I kind of got attached to them.. They are so easy to care for too and make excellent childrens pets :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m planning on getting Hissing ****roaches, they’re super cute and idk why people find them gross.

Strangely roaches are way down the list of bugs which are harmful to humans. Mosquitos for example kill around three quarters of a million people per year, yet very few people have any fear of them. Roaches unlike fleas, are also not responsible for any one of a number of deadly outbreaks of various killer illnesses through history & into modern times. But it is roaches which are the most common insect phobia & it even has a name. Katsaridaphobia.

Last edited:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 4yr old wants hissers for Christmas, the problem now is getting them here alive

My daughter s high school use to have some hissers & they were really popular. I have even separated a few of mine out for her & she is 21. Look for princisia vanwaerebeki if you can find them, they are one of the biggest species & tend to have better colouration. My princisia vanwaerebeki are also my slowest breeding species of hisser too, which is an advantage for pets. And if you don't want hissers to breed, simply keep them in cooler conditions. Here in the UK, simply not using a heat mat is sufficient to stop breeding.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Well, it ment a 5 hr round trip. But my little girl got her roaches. A pair of female hissers.
20210102_182028.jpg
20210102_182455.jpg

Just checked in on them and they're happily munching on the vegetables we left them

Wolfclans

Hello:)

Is there anyone who keep C*ckroaches?
As pet food or also as pet. Which specie do you have? And why exactly these one? I earned experience for example with Gromphadorina and Lucihormetica. They look realy beautiful and make good as pets.

- If you don't understand my English please tell me -
I also been searching for the large roaches In Hamilton Ontario there not allowed to have them or Brantford on I'm guessing best bet is to order on the internet where they sell TS

x_raphael_xx

I have pet hissers,1 male, 3 female. One of the females is either very fat, or pregnant, so I'm hoping she will drop babies soon.
I'm also attempting to set up a dubia colony for feeders. I have a bearded dragon too, so many mouths to feed.