• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone got any idea what sex my Acanthoscurria Geniculata is?

MattB78

Hi,

New member here. Got this absolute beauty a couple of weeks ago, just wondering if anyone can tell what sex it is please?

Many thanks
Matt
20211221_233537.jpg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately the picture quality doesn't really allow much here.
Please see if you can get a clearer picture of the first set of booklungs.
Cheers.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi thanks for the warm welcome.

Sadly I can't at the moment as she / he has barricaded herself into her hide, pre-moult hopefully. I'll get hold of her shed and post a picture then.

Cheers,
Matt
I would offer you to send me the molt to put it under the microscope but being based in USA it wouldn't be worth the shipping cost. Once retrieved soften the molt with a little bit of warm water and a tiny drop of dishwashing soap.
This is what the spermatheca for this species looks like:
1640795729074.png

Cheers mate!

MattB78

I would offer you to send me the molt to put it under the microscope but being based in USA it wouldn't be worth the shipping cost. Once retrieved soften the molt with a little bit of warm water and a tiny drop of dishwashing soap.
This is what the spermatheca for this species looks like:
View attachment 62492
Cheers mate!
Brilliant. Top stuff bud.
I'll try and resist peeking in her hide till she comes out on her own.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it friendly? Can you hold it? I want one.
There are no "friendly" tarantula ;) but A. geniculata is one of the less defensive species although they won't hesitate to dust when bothered and the big girls have a lot of hair! My thoughts on handling (I do handle of few of my Ts for educational purpose in a school setting) is that if it is not needed the T will be better of in her enclosure. The T won't get anything from being held except the risk of falling and getting hurt or killed. Needless to say that getting urticating hairs in your nose, throat or eyes can be extremely painful (the eyes are the most dangerous).
Adding as well a picture of my mature female for you to see :)
94A1A48B-4CF7-4D17-9950-A3CFDD51378C.jpeg

Latest posts