• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone breeding or selling T. seladonia?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Came across this pic and got very interested. Typhochlaena seladonia, the Brazilian Jewel. A dwarf, trapdoor arboreal.

Typhochlaena-seladonia.jpg

Who's holding a sack or a few slings?

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like the last part of the statement that at least the “illegal animal” gets taken care of!

“If a keeper or breeder has one or more species which are subject to Lacey Act violation, the TKC recommends caring for the animal(s) as usual, but do not sell or trade it to anyone at this time.”

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can still find them in the states for sale. I've seen them for as high as $1000 for a sling. If Fish and game catches you, you wont lose only that spider but all other Brazilian species you process also. No thanks

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like the last part of the statement that at least the “illegal animal” gets taken care of!

“If a keeper or breeder has one or more species which are subject to Lacey Act violation, the TKC recommends caring for the animal(s) as usual, but do not sell or trade it to anyone at this time.”

That link supplied by @Arachnoclown also states
"The law in question, the Lacey Act, requires U.S. citizens to comply with laws enacted in foreign countries, related to flora and fauna endemic to those countries. Brazil has made it known that they have not exported any species of tarantula for commercial purpose therefore all specimens removed from Brazil were done so illegally."

That bolded bit implies there are no legally exported species of tarantula from Brazil. How does that impact anyone keeping a brazilian species like Nhandu coloratovillosus?

You can buy them in Europe ...
No US shipping option

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"The law in question, the Lacey Act, requires U.S. citizens to comply with laws enacted in foreign countries, related to flora and fauna endemic to those countries. Brazil has made it known that they have not exported any species of tarantula for commercial purpose therefore all specimens removed from Brazil were done so illegally."

That bolded bit implies there are no legally exported species of tarantula from Brazil. How does that impact anyone keeping a brazilian species like Nhandu coloratovillosus?

No US shipping option
I do agree with @Arachnoclown when he says; “No thanks”!

:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

No US shipping option
You can own these species but it's against the law to breed and sell them...all spiders from Brazil. Since Brazil has said they have never allowed export of their tarantulas no one can prove documentation of legal export. Even though the majority of the spiders in the hobbys parents arrived decades ago...their offspring are still contraband. I have over 50 Brazilian spiders in my collection that I purchased years before this issue was brought to everyones attention.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can own these species but it's against the law to breed and sell them...all spiders from Brazil. Since Brazil has said they have never allowed export of their tarantulas no one can prove documentation of legal export. Even though the majority of the spiders in the hobbys parents arrived decades ago...their offspring are still contraband. I have over 50 Brazilian spiders in my collection that I purchased years before this issue was brought to everyones attention.
People ruin everything

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can still find them in the states for sale. I've seen them for as high as $1000 for a sling.

The problem with this kind of poorly implemented law. Is it can actually create a new & profitable export of the species it seeks to protect. As someone importing say 20-30 tiny T's at $1,000 each, will probably be making more money & taking fewer risks than someone involved in importing $20 - 30,000 worth of drugs.

Criminals are not bothered about the environment or the protection of species. All they see is risk & profit. So this US law could actually create more damage to Brazil's T's than it stops.

Latest posts