• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anybody here have any experience with chameleons?

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hello everybody! I've tried joining a chameleon forum for my new jackson's chameleon but for some reason the activation email just hasn't been sent out to me despite my many requests to resend it. I know many people here have lots of different terrarium animals so I was just wondering if anyone could possibly answer this question. When I got my jackson's he crawled right up onto my hand while I put him into his enclosure but now even though he's friendly I just can't encourage him onto my hand or arm. I know chameleons don't really like to be handled very often but I've heard that if you don't socialize them they become aggressive and it's very difficult to take them out for cleaning or other cage upkeep. I've heard someone suggest using a stick but he doesn't really care even if I try to nudge him onto it. Here's my real question though. Would it be safe to very gently pick him up by his body for a few seconds and then just place him on my hand so he can cling to it? Thanks so much. If anyone can possibly answer this question I would be grateful.

GitaBooks

3 Year Member
As long as it doesn't seem to stress the chameleon, I think it is safe to lift it very gently and place it either on your hand/arm or in a container for cage cleaning. Regular handling can lead to stress, even if they don't show it, but keeping them calm around you is a smart idea.

Congrats on the new jackson's by the way! : )

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Thanks GitaBooks! The Jackson's is probably my favorite species of chameleon. I'll experiment a little bit maybe once a week or so and try and get him to be outgoing at his own pace. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I had my Yemens there were times when I had to gently pick him up but others he would come on my hand on his own. It seemed to just depend on his mood.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Thanks Enn49! Later today I'm going to attempt to pick him up again. Sometimes he's crawling around the cage all happy, that's probably the best time :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't kept reptiles in a while, but I've read that chameleons aren't particularly fond of being picked up.