• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anybody any help for lizard woes?

torstrum

3 Year Member
Hey guys, I posted this on a lizard forum but i decided since it's not a pain in the butt to use this site I might as well post it here too. my lizard seemed to have some trouble with his tail. I was just checking and it was looking a little worse so I was wondering if you have any input. One Idea is that maybe he's getting to hot? he likes to bask right under the light(100w CHE), maybe I should raise it. He's on quikrete(or something like that) washed play sand, I've been meaning to move him to a more natural sand or a sand/dirt mix that I've heard is more akin to their natural environment if you have any ideas on that, although that's a separate discussion. I feed him endive as his main staple mixing in collard greens, radicchio, the occasional mustard green and such. I give him calcium once a week and repashy superveggie supplement weekly as well. He poops every day and I thin he may have stuck his tail in it. My current theory is that maybe that got poop on his tail, leaving it wet(and needless to say dirty) and he may be developing tail rot. He likes to poop on his mushroom ledge and just today I saw him doing a circle dance up there, flinging some poop and getting it on his face even. His poop btw is fairly liquidy, there is frequently a little liquidy discharge. I assume this is because I mist his food every day. He eats a lot and poops regularly and as you may be able to see in the older(irrelevant in this case) pics is very plump. .http://www.flickr.com/photos/104364789@N03/
specifically looking at the 2 end bits which as of late are almost black D:

Last edited:

khatchet

3 Year Member
When he gets poop on him self you should ether bath him or clean it off with a damp paper towel. All so if it is something developing then is a theing call repti aid it is a 10 day treatment. That I have use ones for one off mine. But if it isnt better after that a vet would be you best bet.

torstrum

3 Year Member
When he gets poop on him self you should ether bath him or clean it off with a damp paper towel. All so if it is something developing then is a theing call repti aid it is a 10 day treatment. That I have use ones for one off mine. But if it isnt better after that a vet would be you best bet.
It's advised against bathing uromastyx though, that's what typically leads to tail rot and that's actually what I'm worried about