• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any tips for when I am away???

ALD

3 Year Member
For my (very near) future GBB, I know they are okay for a while without food (any tips on what to feed before leaving them? A bigger meal I guess? Something like a mealworm left in case they get hungry?)- so going away for a week should be no problem when we do- but as for the water... what if the water evaporates or they web over it while away. Can anyone who has to leave their T's for periods of time share any tips with me? Thanks in advance.

ALD

3 Year Member
So - maybe filling it and letting it spill out onto the substrate a little bit? As for the size I am not sure. Being new I don't want anyone too small. I want one small enough I can watch it molt and change- but not so small I am terrified of doing something wrong. Slings seem to fragile. Any suggestions on this? I would love any advice.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
So - maybe filling it and letting it spill out onto the substrate a little bit? As for the size I am not sure. Being new I don't want anyone too small. I want one small enough I can watch it molt and change- but not so small I am terrified of doing something wrong. Slings seem to fragile. Any suggestions on this? I would love any advice.

GBBs grow pretty fast so I don’t think you’d be dissapointed getting a small one. I had some 1”ers reach 3” in a little over 6 months (if I recall correctly).

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dehydration is the real killer. Tarantulas won't drown in a big water dish. I'd put in the biggest one that'll easily fit into the enclosure.

If you're super paranoid, you can always put a fully stainless steel machine screw that's a little longer then the water dish in on its side so they can walk out. Even in the human body for artificial joints, stainless doesn't rust or release toxins.

I first did that with some of my slings, no harm done but proved to be unnecessary.

TheVez2

3 Year Member
I go away on a business trip for about a month at a time. I have to do this about once a year, and with over 50 Ts, have had no losses. I fed all my Ts before I leave, ensure they all have fresh water, and overflow the dishes to soak about 1/4 of the substrate. Then I don't give them a second thought while I am gone.
Do not leave food in with them while you are gone. Uneaten prey can turn on your T. It's rare, but it happens, especially if your T decides to molt while you are gone. Your GBB is one of the hardiest Ts and one of the most drought tolerant Ts in the trade. Even if the dish dries up, it will be fine.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I go on vacation for a week(usually every thanksgiving sadly), i usually just overflow the waterdish and that is it, all of my tarantulas do just fine, i used to have a GBB that i would do the same thing with and she would be perfectly fine when i returned. Tarantulas are a lot more hardy than they get credit for.

Latest posts