• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any suggestions for a new T?

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
OMG so addictive! I'm thinking about ordering a sling, would be my first sling. Curious as to what I should get. My current T's are an A. Avic, and a L.P.

I'm ready to test my skill level at this hobby!

But yes, lets brainstorm!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Maybe I'll go check out the reptile place by me tomorrow and see what they have for T's. I heard they have a wall full, but I doubt they will have any slings.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I think I'm going to place an order for these,

Pterinochilus murinus
Catumiri cf. argentinensis
H.Lividum

But i'll do some more reasearch, look up the a. gen, and the g. pulp and see what I think. :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I strongly suggest slowing down and getting comfortable with your new LP before ordering any new Ts.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
I think I'm going to place an order for these,

Pterinochilus murinus
Catumiri cf. argentinensis
H.Lividum

But i'll do some more reasearch, look up the a. gen, and the g. pulp and see what I think. :)
the Pterinochilus murinus and H.Lividum are huge step from what you have right now. I strongly suggest you do some research on them and really think carefully before you think about buying them.

Atx13

3 Year Member
If you have done the research, and know what your getting into, get an obt..
P.murnius are great Ts. One of my favs, but the speed, aggresion is something you can only get used to by owning one.. if your cautious and understanding, you should have no issues..
Be aware.. a bite from an obt could possibly end in a trip to the hospital, as with most OW Ts, their venom is more potent..

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I've done my research, I like to know what I'm getting into first. However I'm going to take kennys advice and slow down and get to know the two I have right now before getting into anything else. Thank you for the suggestions though!

Cobalt

3 Year Member
One of my first T's was a haplopelma. As long as you're confident and have done your research on the species and know what you are getting into..i dont see a problem with beginners getting haplo's, pokies etc.

As for a great beginner species i'd recommend the Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee). It's the most docile tarantula i have heard of in the hobby. My G. pulchripes is as nice as a kitten. There's almost a bigger chance of it doing a backflip than biting you (prob a bit exaggerated, but you get the point :p. It's arguably one of the largest "handlable" tarantulas (22cm). Since it's a grammostola it doesn't grow as fast as other species, but it definately grows faster than a rosea.

As for OBT's; they are great beginner tarantulas! They are the most hardy tarantula you can get. It can live in a moist enviroment or a dry one - you can decide, the tarantula doesn't really care!. Humidity isn't a big issue with this specie. It doesn't even need a substrate or hide! If there are no hide, it webs up its own hide! Yes they have strong venom and are aggressive - whats your point?

Latest posts