• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any Recommendations?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Where to begin?! It depends on what you are wanting to spend. For cheap you could get a B vagans which is terrestrial (lives on the ground) or an Avicularia avicularia (thes are arboreal). If you want to spend more money, most of the Brachypelma gebus are great. B hamorii is probably the most popular.

Most will sugfest you start with a juvinal or adult because they are a bit more hardy than slings.

There is a lot of info on this forum so you came to the right place. Just do your research before jumping in!

Steve Chavez

3 Year Member
Where to begin?! It depends on what you are wanting to spend. For cheap you could get a B vagans which is terrestrial (lives on the ground) or an Avicularia avicularia (thes are arboreal). If you want to spend more money, most of the Brachypelma gebus are great. B hamorii is probably the most popular.

Most will sugfest you start with a juvinal or adult because they are a bit more hardy than slings.

There is a lot of info on this forum so you came to the right place. Just do your research before jumping in!

Thanks Metalman! I really appreciate the advice!

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I began with a B. Abilpolosum, and am so happy I did. Curly Hair' s are usually very docile and have a great disposition. Just a thought, welcome to the hobby!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are some that may allow you to handle them, but in reality in my opinion that should be minimized.

Yes, getting something calm enough to do cage maintenance and so on is desirable and the ones that are purported to be handled easily are good choices.

Still, if you're more open-minded and willing to consider a look but touch pet there are more options.

Even though my first one was versicolor, I wish I had gotten my Lasiodora Klugi first.

The A geniculata is also a real impressive one with a great feeding response. That was my alternate one if I couldn't get the Klugi

Anything species from those 2 families will be impressive.

One thing I did right was to get them as slings. It's great to watch them grow up.

Still, if you can personally see the T before buying it like an expo that's even better.

Tongs, a paintbrush and a slurpee big gulp cup are your friends.

Steve Chavez

3 Year Member
There are some that may allow you to handle them, but in reality in my opinion that should be minimized.

Yes, getting something calm enough to do cage maintenance and so on is desirable and the ones that are purported to be handled easily are good choices.

Still, if you're more open-minded and willing to consider a look but touch pet there are more options.

Even though my first one was versicolor, I wish I had gotten my Lasiodora Klugi first.

The A geniculata is also a real impressive one with a great feeding response. That was my alternate one if I couldn't get the Klugi

Anything species from those 2 families will be impressive.

One thing I did right was to get them as slings. It's great to watch them grow up.

Still, if you can personally see the T before buying it like an expo that's even better.

Tongs, a paintbrush and a slurpee big gulp cup are your friends.

Thanks for the advice! I think I have a slurpee big gulp cup lying around somewhere haha

bbbs53

3 Year Member
Red Knees are pretty easy as are most of the new world species. Watch the bristles on some, some are worse than others. Most all are fairly easy to keep, some are a lot easier to handle, but as mentioned, they don't necessarily need ot like it. Read all you can and get familiar with them as a group. The sky's the limit.

Steve Chavez

3 Year Member
Red Knees are pretty easy as are most of the new world species. Watch the bristles on some, some are worse than others. Most all are fairly easy to keep, some are a lot easier to handle, but as mentioned, they don't necessarily need ot like it. Read all you can and get familiar with them as a group. The sky's the limit.
Haha Thanks for the Encouragement! Ill remember to keep that in mind.

Latest posts