• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any pointers ???

Ghost

3 Year Member
IMHO,too much top ventilation and no where near enough cross ventilation,the problem with that much top ventalation is that it lets out all the humidity and ruins the microclimate effect.
The rule of thumb that I use for cross ventilation for Avics is when you think you have enough add some more,I would also add some fake plants to give more anchor points for webbing,with Avics I don't bother with cork bark and just give them fake plants and they web up like crazy.....

Therasoid

3 Year Member
+1 I agree.
I have no holes in my arboreal enclosures tops whatsoever, but plenty (maybe too many) on the sides and back. Substrate slightly moist and a water dish that's always filled.
On yours, I suggest take packers tape to cover the screened top, do this on the inside. Add a row of holes above the one near the substrate and three rows below the top row.
Just my opinion. [emoji3]

Thivo

3 Year Member
Agree on both of them... Since you already put the screen on top, you should mist it evey two days and I suggest if possible to add more holes on sides...

spidey noob

3 Year Member
just realized something, I was planing on houseing them in exoterra tall (nano) tanks after there next moult. But there is no cross ventilation so are they not suitable for
avics ???
How do u house your adult avics ???

Ghost

3 Year Member
just realized something, I was planing on houseing them in exoterra tall (nano) tanks after there next moult. But there is no cross ventilation so are they not suitable for
avics ???
How do u house your adult avics ???

I have personally never used exoterra enclosures so I can't comment on them all I can do is give you two options that I have used.
First option:custom made acrylic arboreal enclosure from house of spiders now this is not a cheap option but you get them made to your own specific requirements and they make great display enclosures you can check them out at www.houseofspiders.co.uk or they have a Facebook page as well.

Second option and this is the cheapest one tall plastic sweet jars you can get them from eBay and customise them yourself but they don't look as good as option one.....

Ghost

3 Year Member
first option sounds the best to me ;)

PS, when i got in from work one of my avic versi slings has moulted YES !!! :D:D:D

Congrats on the molt,and yes the first option is better I use them for the T's I keep in my living room there far better for display purposes,I only use the second option for my T room as there alot cheaper and nobody sees them....

Therasoid

3 Year Member
thanks :) i got so exited with them all moulting with in a few days of each other i orderd 4 x Avicularia sp.Guyana (avic avic) &
4 x Aphonopelma anax (texan tan) just couldnt help my self lol ;)
And the anticipation/worry syndrome will soon begin again. [emoji12]
When we we ever learn! [emoji6]
Btw, you have some nice Ts on their way. Slings?

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hi all, just thought I would up date u all.
All of my Aviv slings have now moulted success fully :)
Congrats on all your Avics moulting successfully,it goes to show that as long as you get the conditions correct their not as delicate as some people think well that's my opinion anyway...
thanks :) i got so exited with them all moulting with in a few days of each other i orderd 4 x Avicularia sp.Guyana (avic avic) &
4 x Aphonopelma anax (texan tan) just couldnt help my self lol ;)
Nice additions you've got coming,I'm not sure if you've had any A.anax before but these little buggers are going to test your patience with their growth rate......

spidey noob

3 Year Member
therasoid
yeh they are 1cm slings

ghost
thanks,
i dont mind the slow growth rates of the anax, my Aphonopelma sp. "Malinche" are super slow growing also got them last november & they have only moulted once !!!

p.s i must stop buying Ts now up to 30 with the new ones lol

creaturekeeper 91

3 Year Member
I do know that the exoterra tanks have vents in the front but whether that is enough is another question. I do know that you would have to put some cellophane under the screen. We do the same thing for poison dart frogs to keep in humidity. I have been wondering the same for my avic diversipes..

Latest posts