• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ANY HELP WANTED!

SLW2583

I am thrilled to finally have a pink toed tarantula it's my first! Unfortunately there I don't know much about it. I have been talking to the pet store and googling everything about Teri my tarantula. I am concerned I maybe doing something wrong for Teri. I have included pics of my setup. I have had Teri for 5 days. Teri ate a cricket the very first day but Teri hasn't moved since. Is that normal to not move much? My big tank has three green anoles and a green tree frog in it. Teri is in the smaller tank in the corner. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge on top of Teri's tank. Teri's temp is between 70 and 80 degrees. Humidity is about 65%. I don't spray Teri itself just the substrate once a week and I keep the water bowl full with a sponge in it. The lights are not directly over Teri. The bulb closest to Teri is the UVB bulb and the other bulb is the heat bulb for the anoles. The pet store told me that this set up was safe for Teri. I am not sure. Should I get night lamp so Teri can have the dark? The night lamp would be like moon like and provide warmth for the anoles. I have read so many articles that I am confused. (And that's easy for me to get ever since I had a stroke). I read in one article that tarantulas need small sticks to use to make its web. Should I get some for Teri? Please let me know what I should do or not do for Teri. Thanks in advance.

20190721_163344.jpg teri 1.jpg 20190721_163357.jpg

T-Baby

3 Year Member
I wouldn’t keep Teri inside the Anoles enclosure it isn’t necessary. Remove the sponge from the water dish as it harbours bacteria, just water is suffice he will still drink from it. A piece of cork bark upright is usually a good set up for arboreal’s and decorate as you like! Fresh water and a slight misting every week is plenty.
Tarantulas do what they wanna do, 1 day could be moving a lot, 1 day will hardly move. Much like us humans.. only ever worry if he is losing weight!

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am thrilled to finally have a pink toed tarantula it's my first! Unfortunately there I don't know much about it. I have been talking to the pet store and googling everything about Teri my tarantula. I am concerned I maybe doing something wrong for Teri. I have included pics of my setup. I have had Teri for 5 days. Teri ate a cricket the very first day but Teri hasn't moved since. Is that normal to not move much? My big tank has three green anoles and a green tree frog in it. Teri is in the smaller tank in the corner. I have a thermometer and humidity gauge on top of Teri's tank. Teri's temp is between 70 and 80 degrees. Humidity is about 65%. I don't spray Teri itself just the substrate once a week and I keep the water bowl full with a sponge in it. The lights are not directly over Teri. The bulb closest to Teri is the UVB bulb and the other bulb is the heat bulb for the anoles. The pet store told me that this set up was safe for Teri. I am not sure. Should I get night lamp so Teri can have the dark? The night lamp would be like moon like and provide warmth for the anoles. I have read so many articles that I am confused. (And that's easy for me to get ever since I had a stroke). I read in one article that tarantulas need small sticks to use to make its web. Should I get some for Teri? Please let me know what I should do or not do for Teri. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 39562 View attachment 39563 View attachment 39564
Hi and congratulations on your new T:)

first of all I would remove your Ts tank from inside the other tank-it would really benefit the T to not be in there as being an Avic species good ventilation and air flow are a must to keep them healthy
its fine that it hasn't moved much its just settling in and nothing to worry about -all Ts need to to make there space there home-
offer food once a week or so if it doesn't eat remove the food item,
don't worry yourself about humidity or temps as Ts are happy at room temperature-chances are if you feel comfortable so does the T
please take the sponge out of the water dish-they harbour bacteria and are not needed-a nice fresh dish of clean water at all times is all that is required don't worry your T will not drown in the dish
as @T-Baby mentioned cork bark and other decoration is good for your Ts enclosure they can re -arrange as they wish
no sort of lighting is needed if anything they will overheat your T :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spiders don't move around like say, puppies or kittens..a happy spider usually means a hidden or at least stationary spider..lots of movement is usually not a great sign..

That is certainly what I have noticed with my mature male Phormictopus cancerides, (Haitian Brown.) Since I moved him from his inappropriate tiny floor space arboreal enclosure to a lower enclosure with more floor space, he has calmed down considerably.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yikes!! There's still a lot of bad info about these.

These guys are a dry spider that needs an elevated water dish & no extra humidity whatsoever. Some might not go to ground to drink.

Humid air is denser them dry air. Whatever the humidity is at ground level where these guys live doesn't matter. In the tops of trees with gentle breezes the air is no more humid them it is in your own home.

Always keep it full!! Everything else dry.

The humidity thing is out of date. If they are kept to humid, they can get a fungal infection in the book lungs that's fatal.

I had the same issue when I got my C versicolor, which had identical issues to avics. I had to resort to a gently blowing fan to dry it up.

Still, these are great beginner Ts and as long as you act quickly, no lasting harm will result. Pet stores aren't ideal places to get a tarantula.

There are many great online dealers that can literally mail you a tarantula for half the price together with accurate instructions

Putting them around things that are natural enemies or predators will do neither animal any good.

With a very few exceptions, tarantulas are solitary animals.

Latest posts