• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any guesses on sex of these arizona tarantulas?

Jeff C

3 Year Member
tt1.jpg
tt2.jpg
tt3.jpg
tt4.jpg
tt5.jpg
tt1.jpg
tt2.jpg
tt3.jpg
tt4.jpg
tt5.jpg
tt6.jpg
tt7.jpg

Jeff C

3 Year Member
Top pic is a mature male, the rest are questionable
thanks I just noticed one picture is a copy--the mature male. A couple more questions. I got them at the beginning of the mating season does that mean the males will be suffering for 2 months? Also I notice they seem to want to get out. Are this species really skittery or will they relax? I will get crickets today but after putting them in their temporary holding pens with water-I am giving them 48 hours of total peace after the rigors of the capture and trip. I assume they are fine going the first few hours without eating. I of course will get aquariums and want to put deep soil so they can burrow. I also take occasional trips where I am gone sometimes 5-6 days. Is there a good food that can be left instead of live crickets to see them through? Or do they care going a few days? If there are some meal worms to they go up and eat as they choose? They say after a few hours dont leave any uneaten food in there.

Thistles

3 Year Member
They only need to eat about once a week anyway. There's no better pet if you have to travel! Crickets are all they need, and I prefer them to mealworms personally. Just give a cricket or two weekly and they'll be fine, but one looks a little skinny and might take 3 per week the first month or so. I would release the males and keep the others, if you're looking to keep more than one. They would definitely appreciate being able to burrow, but you might have to start the burrow for them. They usually get a burrow started when they're young and it can be hard for older specimens to settle down. They should relax. This is one of the most docile species. You have a beautiful locality, too. Aphonopelma chalcodes can be blonder, but you got the ones with the dark femurs. Very nice!

By the way, I can't really tell how many total you have since some pics repeat and I'm on an iPad and tipsy. Yep. The really skinny ones with the dark legs and the bright carapace are the males. The ones with the lighter legs lower down are either females or males that haven't grown up yet. Release the daddy long legs guys.

Jeff C

3 Year Member
They only need to eat about once a week anyway. There's no better pet if you have to travel! Crickets are all they need, and I prefer them to mealworms personally. Just give a cricket or two weekly and they'll be fine, but one looks a little skinny and might take 3 per week the first month or so. I would release the males and keep the others, if you're looking to keep more than one. They would definitely appreciate being able to burrow, but you might have to start the burrow for them. They usually get a burrow started when they're young and it can be hard for older specimens to settle down. They should relax. This is one of the most docile species. You have a beautiful locality, too. Aphonopelma chalcodes can be blonder, but you got the ones with the dark femurs. Very nice!

By the way, I can't really tell how many total you have since some pics repeat and I'm on an iPad and tipsy. Yep. The really skinny ones with the dark legs and the bright carapace are the males. The ones with the lighter legs lower down are either females or males that haven't grown up yet. Release the daddy long legs guys.

Yes I agree--I also was talking today that I will release the 2 males. I will wait for perfect conditions to give them a good start in the heat. I did get my first perfect aquarium with a screen and even a big half log in it at the junk store and Olive took to it perfect. I am planning on devising a sort of angled or sideways burrow hoping they use it--not practical of course going straight down in 6 inches of dirt. thanks

Thistles

3 Year Member
Sounds good! I'm not sure how you used "they," but be sure to keep them separately. Just let the males go at night and they'll be fine. They're adapted to the heat.

Latest posts