• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anastasia's life and times

tapkoote

3 Year Member
I brought home a B Smithi, from the pet shop, last August. She's had my full attention ever since.
When I get time I'll lay out the time line, including my newby mistakes. Right now she's getting close to hew molt, and my goal is to catch her flipping over on to her mat.
I did get Ana her own youtube chanel-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFcvjb0EhOBkWLQvBlKd3og
I'm a nature observer, not a collector , but watching her is a new hobby.
Thanks for the greetings I can't wait to see her new coat.
OBTW she measures 3 3/4 inches up on the glass.
Pat

tapkoote

3 Year Member
the pic.
1-5-17_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_7257.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_7276.jpg
    IMG_7276.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 8

tapkoote

3 Year Member
This is my first molt, but I've read a large (she's 3 3/4 ") can gain an inch at molt.
And she's the same size as before, her abdomen seems smaller.
I did catch her in an odd position again tonight.
I can't figure how to post pics or I'd put a picture up of her laying on her side.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Welcome prince Andrew!!
I checked the servalance camera footage, But it wasn't set up till 1-5, so it happened between the first and the fifth. He laid the mat on the first.
He got crickets this morning (hasn't eaten since the 6th of dec) and he was ready.

tapkoote

3 Year Member

• Andy the eating machine
    This B-smithi just baffles me.
    He had his last pre-molt meal Dec. 6th, and didn’t resume regular behavior till Jan. 28th, when he came out to the front of the glass and stared at me most of the afternoon. The next morning, Sunday he got two crickets, ate them both. Wednesday he got two more, ate them both. Today (Friday) I aimed to get a couple more in there. I’ve got a tall jug I keep them in, use tongs to get them out. Of course I dropped the first one on the floor, and couldn’t find it. The next one got dropped in, but he never moved, thought he was dead. Dropped two more in and they were running around when the first one decided he would start crawling around. So Andy’s got two fast ones and an old timer who’s slow. I put the cork in the cage, and look down. There’s the first one I dropped. Grab him with my hand and through him in too.
    Shortly after Andy, who’s sitting facing the corner heat source, spins around and grabs a meal, off to the bunker to eat. It’s 11 am.
    It usually takes him 3 hrs.+or-, about 1 pm I see grampa cricket wander down towards the cave. That was a mistake, Andy doesn’t come out till 5 pm. I know he’s had two crickets. He marches over to the warm corner and grabs another cricket-thats three- and back to the bunker. At 9 pm he comes out washing his face, I figured he was done. No way he goes up the hill and grabs the last cricket——4 in one day!!!!
    What a glutton. I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow and compare the abdomen size.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Got another observation on Andy.
He's been spending his time in post molt near as he can get to the heat source. After 4 crickets today, he came out dumped the pellet,(10:30pm) and returned to the bunker. I'm thinking he finally got enough calories to stay in bed tonight. He does like the dark cave after 11PM., normally.

Latest posts