• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amac Boxes

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Half the fun of having tarantulas for me is making the little worlds for them to live in and then watching how they interact with what I've created and make it their home.

I've been using deli cups for most of my new spiders because they are cheap and I have them on hand. There are two main problems with this: 1. They are not as clear as I'd like, and 2. The lids are too difficult to get off without jostling the whole enclosure around and scaring the spider. I'm also using some of those dram vials for my smaller arboreal spiders, but those are really hard to see in to. I found some clear plastic boxes on Amazon for about $5 each, but the lids aren't right, so unless I make some way of keeping the lids on, I'd really rather not use them.

Someone mentioned AMAC boxes on another thread, so I looked them up. These are exactly what I had back in the early 90's and exactly what I was looking for. I contacted the company and made an order. All went well and I received my three different sizes with no problems:
IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

The small ones are 2x2x6" and I thought they'd work well for small arboreals. The middle size is about 3x3x6" and the large ones are 4x4x7". I'm eventually going to move all of them into these, but I got started with my three arboreals tonight. I decided to melt the holes into them because the tips on my new soldering iron make it so easy.

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

I hated to move them again so soon after letting them get settled into their first enclosures with me, but these are so much better. Better ventilation and better for me to see them. And these are large enough to allow a water bowl. I didn't do them upside down because both Psalmos made their web lairs at the bottoms of their other enclosures, and the C. versicolor made its hangout right in the middle. If they start webbing up and living at the tops, I'll make them new enclosure with the lid on bottom.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I didn’t realize you could order direct from AMAC. I’ve always gotten mine from the container store. They aren’t expensive to begin with but I wonder if you save a bit going direct.

Those look good!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I didn’t realize you could order direct from AMAC. I’ve always gotten mine from the container store. They aren’t expensive to begin with but I wonder if you save a bit going direct.

Those look good!
I believe the minimum order is $100 and you have to get them by the case. Small size is 15 to a case. Medium size was 8 to a case and the large size was 25 to a case. Cost of the large size was $2.38 each, plus tax and shipping. Smaller sizes were even less.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to love these things. Perfect for slings. They scratch too easy though. In all fairness, I did have a bunch on one shelf and I can be heavy handed.. I cant wait until all my plastic boxes are gone and everyone is behind glass. I like the look of 2.5 g for little juvies, 5 g for small adults, 10g for normal sized adults, 20 g for giants. Gotta have heavy duty shelves though, especially if you're fond of clay and rocks..

Latest posts