• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amac Air Hole by Melting Question

CieloAngel

Backstory: Hello. I am new to the forum and still under a year old (barely) as a tarantula/JS keeper. At first I hated the Amac style boxes because of the weird line in the middle of the view, but after talking to a JS breeder at my recent HERPs show, began to see their beauty, especially for top dwelling web spinners. I bought two $40 enclosures from him (decorated of course), and decided to move my other jumpers into them. I ordered one from Josh's Frogs for ~$20, but it came in super dirty and cracked. I saw you could buy the AMAC's from the Container Store for around $5, so I bought some from there.

Current Issue: I used a soldering iron to melt holes into these AMAC boxes, but the holes are very rough. I was using cuticle clippers to try and clip off all of the sharp parts, but that ended up scratching up the areas around it. It is still decent, but is there some kind of trick or way to get smoother holes? I know I could conceivably drill smoother holes, but that would involve purchasing the correct drill bits and all, and melting seems pretty easy.

Thank you!

Tarantulafeets

You can try using a file or sandpaper to grind it down, but I think Jamies Tarantulas sells them with a vent style for ventilation.

CieloAngel

I just checked out Jamie's enclosures. I don't see anything I really love there, especially of the same size of AMAC boxes I got. Thank you though for pointing them out. There are some interesting other enclosures there I may consider for my T's.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I drill all of my own Amacs. Painters tape, mark it out, drill bit size according to spood size, and drill slowly. Use a sharp/new bit.

These are a pair that I did for P. regalis slings

Attachments

• 20220505_183723.jpg
    20220505_183723.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

CieloAngel

I drill all of my own Amacs. Painters tape, mark it out, drill bit size according to spood size, and drill slowly. Use a sharp/new bit.

These are a pair that I did for P. regalis slings
Do you use regular drill bits, or a certain type? I assume you drill through the painters tape? Do you put a block of wood or anything behind it? I was watching videos on drilling through acrylic in general, and people were modifying their drill bits or using bits especially designed for plastic

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
When you drilling hard plastic and acrylic is good to use painters tape and drill trough that.
It will give you better finish.Also its important to drill with sharp drill bit and slowly.I find the cheap rotary tools with variable speed very handy Unfortunately the ones I find can only take drill bits up to about 3mm
Regards Konstantin

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Do you use regular drill bits, or a certain type? I assume you drill through the painters tape? Do you put a block of wood or anything behind it? I was watching videos on drilling through acrylic in general, and people were modifying their drill bits or using bits especially designed for plastic
I just make sure to use a sharp bit. Nothing special. Drill through the tape slowly, minimal pressure, let the bit do the work. The only time I used a block of wood is on thick material

rapidfire

They do make bits designed for acrylic. I purchased mine at home depot. You can also sharpen a point on a standard drill bit to modify it. The point keeps it from cracking. Use painters tape to keep from scratching. Drill slow and steady.