• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alot of mixed answers...

Atx13

3 Year Member
I've been trying to figure out the growth rate on my slings..
My B. Vagans, which is about an inch maybe 1.5" in size currently, has been pre moult since i purchased her, has ate once, and i refuse to drop anymore food in with her, until she moults since her abdomen is soo huge.
Next is my C. Fasciatum, I've read before purchasing her, they are fast growers, then read last night that they're slow... my wee one is about 3/4" in size, and has been in pre moult for about a week and a half now.
My G. Pulchripes is about 1/4 MAYBE 1/2", I've been under the assumption that they are extremely slow growers, but then last night I read that they are much faster than G. Roseas( the only Grammostola i've ever raised from a sling), she is currently pre moult.
I know exactly what to expect from my P. Murinus, who is, as of last night, maybe the night before, starting to look pre moult( the fuzzy little orange girl is now a dirty brown color)
I've never kept nor dealt with any of the slings I have, besides the P. Murinus.
So if anyone has some first hand experience with these species, I'd love to here about growth rate, feeding habits, how you kept them( humidity, temp, ect.).. I keep my Ts at 72-77 Degrees. depending on the outside weather.. I keep my slings enclosures a little moist, visible water droplets, so they can drink when they want.
Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Forgot to mention I keep my Ts and slings on a mix of Peat Moss and vermiculite***

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's really no answer to this question. It will depend on the keeper, and conditions.
I keep my T room warm 78-82f and feed twice a week, and I get good growth because of it.
Grammostola, tend to go off food for a while, hence it's hard to really gauge their growth. My Pulchripes is 7/8" and is 7 years old. (grew her from .75")
B.Vagans aren't slow at all in comparison to other Brachys. I've raised a female to maturity in 40 months. Tiger-rumps are a similar growth rate 3-4 years for maturity in my experience. P.Murinus, as I'm sure you know are much faster. they can mature as quickly as 1 year.

Atx13

3 Year Member
There's really no answer to this question. It will depend on the keeper, and conditions.
I keep my T room warm 78-82f and feed twice a week, and I get good growth because of it.
Grammostola, tend to go off food for a while, hence it's hard to really gauge their growth. My Pulchripes is 7/8" and is 7 years old. (grew her from .75")
B.Vagans aren't slow at all in comparison to other Brachys. I've raised a female to maturity in 40 months. Tiger-rumps are a similar growth rate 3-4 years for maturity in my experience. P.Murinus, as I'm sure you know are much faster. they can mature as quickly as 1 year.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any other Ts that grow fast like a P. murinus?(excluding Poecs. I have to hold off on getting my P. Regalis, until i'm given the o.k lol)

John Frost

3 Year Member
I just moved into an apartment/dorm place and I can't regulate the temp. At night it gets cooler (about 65-70 degrees). I don't usually use heating pads, though I have one. I've read in places that it's a bad idea to use one. I want my T's to keep warm but not sure how to go about it.

Does anyone know of anything that will keep a steady temperature inside the terrarium?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as the day time hours are comfortable to you, say 70 or higher, you should be fine. We keep the temps between 65 and 70 here and all my T's are happy.

John Frost

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I was doing other research as well and this seems to be the general consensus.

Latest posts