• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

AuntyJacky

Hi I started with Brachypelmas, Grammostolas, Phormictopus and Nahndus last year but then had sadly discover I'm extremely allergic to the utrticating hairs... They didn't even had to kick hairs (my baby's were super docile like that) the rashes lasted for weeks and had blisters and never had trouble with asthma or anything like this but with my t's I had to wear a scarf around my mouth otherwise couldn't even open the enclosure to water them or feed or I would've had an asthma episode... Thankfully never had any eye problems with the hairs since I'm wearing glasses... But had to eventually face reality and gave them all away... But living without them is so empty so I yesterday ordered an Pterinochilus murinus sling and will start the hobby again but with OW...

Heard that Psalmopoeus species also lack the u Hairs but their fuzzy looks do make me nervous... So can someone tell me their experiences and is someone out there as allergic as me or am I alone?

Jacky

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Psalmopoeus are quite easy to raise and you are correct, they indeed do not have urticating hairs, same goes for I believe both the Ephabopus genus and the Dolichothele diamantinensis.

AuntyJacky

Psalmopoeus are quite easy to raise and you are correct, they indeed do not have urticating hairs, same goes for I believe both the Ephabopus genus and the Dolichothele diamantinensis.
True heard about Dolichothele is also without urticating hairs but didn't know Ephabopus genes does as well... This would be awesome they have beautiful animals

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What you said here is correct. However the Ephebopus Murinus has urticating hairs on their pedipalps not the abdomen. I’m pretty sure the rest of the genus is the same althou I’m not 100% sure.

do agree thou. Psalmopoeus is an amazing genus to keep and do lack the hairs that you have issues with.