• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ahoy from Florida!

Cnidarianfarmer

Hello,
My name is Corey, I am getting back into keeping spiders after selling off my old collection 5 years ago before I moved to Florida, I started keeping Ts at a young age back in the mid 90s, and I still cringe when I look back at the inadequate husbandry that was commonplace and practiced back then.

I just dove back into the hobby about three weeks ago after visiting a local pet store that happened to have an awesome selection of Ts and inverts, picked up my first two there and now three weeks later I already have 19 spooders :oops:
The best aspect of this hobby is that you learn something new everyday! I look forward to learning new things from this forum and its community as well as getting to know all of you fine people!
Thanks and happy Friday!

Jenniferinfl

Hello,
My name is Corey, I am getting back into keeping spiders after selling off my old collection 5 years ago before I moved to Florida, I started keeping Ts at a young age back in the mid 90s, and I still cringe when I look back at the inadequate husbandry that was commonplace and practiced back then.

I just dove back into the hobby about three weeks ago after visiting a local pet store that happened to have an awesome selection of Ts and inverts, picked up my first two there and now three weeks later I already have 19 spooders :oops:
The best aspect of this hobby is that you learn something new everyday! I look forward to learning new things from this forum and its community as well as getting to know all of you fine people!
Thanks and happy Friday!
Hi Corey, I'm also returning to the hobby, but, after a longer break than yours.

It's definitely really convenient to be interested in tarantulas in Florida. :) You don't sound like you need any help finding T's, but, Jacksonville Repticon is tomorrow and Exotic Kingdom as well as Beasley Exotics is supposed to be there. I haven't purchased from Beasley yet, but, the ones I got from Exotic Kingdom looked decent even with the drenching they got at the pet store they were at.

Additionally, there's someone called Inland Sea Exotics who is in Central Florida. I got some spiderlings from him that looked good too. :) Unfortunately I don't think he has a classifieds ad here, but, I've found him on another tarantula forum as well as kingsnake.

If you happen to have found somebody else that I didn't list above, I'd be interested. :) I have a few more wishlist T's I'm trying to find local before I go ahead and start placing shipping orders.

Welcome back to the hobby. :)

Cnidarianfarmer

Hey neighbor, I actually went to repticon in Tampa last weekend and bought from both Beasley and exotic Kingdom's tables, both are excellent T dealers. There is a shop called Pet Bazzar here in Winterpark that has a pretty awesome selection of cool unique species, many different pokies, some N. incei, Pamphobeteus, H. gigas, different brachys, as well as different isopods, springtails, I actually picked up a Linothele sericata from them a few days ago.

Im definitely going to the Orlando repticon in July and will do some more business with both Beasley and EK.

Hi Corey, I'm also returning to the hobby, but, after a longer break than yours.

It's definitely really convenient to be interested in tarantulas in Florida. :) You don't sound like you need any help finding T's, but, Jacksonville Repticon is tomorrow and Exotic Kingdom as well as Beasley Exotics is supposed to be there. I haven't purchased from Beasley yet, but, the ones I got from Exotic Kingdom looked decent even with the drenching they got at the pet store they were at.

Additionally, there's someone called Inland Sea Exotics who is in Central Florida. I got some spiderlings from him that looked good too. :) Unfortunately I don't think he has a classifieds ad here, but, I've found him on another tarantula forum as well as kingsnake.

If you happen to have found somebody else that I didn't list above, I'd be interested. :) I have a few more wishlist T's I'm trying to find local before I go ahead and start placing shipping orders.

Welcome back to the hobby. :)

Jenniferinfl

Hey neighbor, I actually went to repticon in Tampa last weekend and bought from both Beasley and exotic Kingdom's tables, both are excellent T dealers. There is a shop called Pet Bazzar here in Winterpark that has a pretty awesome selection of cool unique species, many different pokies, some N. incei, Pamphobeteus, H. gigas, different brachys, as well as different isopods, springtails, I actually picked up a Linothele sericata from them a few days ago.

Im definitely going to the Orlando repticon in July and will do some more business with both Beasley and EK.
Thank you for the tip on Pet Bazaar, I haven't been in there for a long time. I didn't buy much because I don't know the common names that well, but, I did pick up a P. pulcher and a P. regalis along with some fruit flies and springtails. I meant to buy dubias and isopods, but, I had my kid with me and she was wanting all the frogs and I kept getting distracted.. lol

Oh well, I'll head back down there next weekend after I figure out the common names. lol

Cnidarianfarmer

Thank you for the tip on Pet Bazaar, I haven't been in there for a long time. I didn't buy much because I don't know the common names that well, but, I did pick up a P. pulcher and a P. regalis along with some fruit flies and springtails. I meant to buy dubias and isopods, but, I had my kid with me and she was wanting all the frogs and I kept getting distracted.. lol

Oh well, I'll head back down there next weekend after I figure out the common names. lol

Two of their employees are pretty well versed in Latin names, for being a mom and pop pet shop, I was really impressed with their selection of Ts

Cnidarianfarmer

Im actually thinking I might be going by there today to pick up crickets..... but lets be honest, Ill probably leave with more than just crickets, I have like 8 new AMAC boxes, 15x 60 dram vials and several mainstay gallon jars that need to be utilized.

:D

Jenniferinfl

Im actually thinking I might be going by there today to pick up crickets..... but lets be honest, Ill probably leave with more than just crickets, I have like 8 new AMAC boxes, 15x 60 dram vials and several mainstay gallon jars that need to be utilized.

:D
Yeah, I only bought two because I'm out of Amac boxes.. lol

I'm so glad that Amac sells them directly now since it's such a pain finding them in stock anywhere.
My personal favorite is the 765C flat top because you just add more or less substrate and it's either arboreal or terrestrial or fossorial.. lol I should have bought just all those, but, I ordered some smaller ones and one large top ones as well.

The best value seems to be to buy 16 of them at a time because shipping stays at $10. If you go to 24, shipping is $20.

I'm tempted to try the Uline boxes, even with the higher shipping they come out cheaper, but, I'm worried they'd crack while drilling them or something.

Latest posts