• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive Golden Chaco Knee

AntonyR

Hi, I would be very happy if somebody had such a experience with golden chaco about inappropriate behaviour. All weeks she was quite docile and easy going, but today when I’ve check her mood with a paint brush, she attacked it straight away after i touched her abdomen. She almost got me, but thanks God the brush was long enough to keep me away of her. I have never seen such an aggressive attack of her. She had a cricket straight away after this attack and she did absolutely the same with the poor little prayer. I don’t base it on the fact that she is hungry as she is a great eater and she is having a pray any other day and she never refuses to eat. What could be a reason for her behaviour? Temperature? Humidity? Anybody?

AntonyR

I would agree if this was a handling time, but it was more about feeding time!? Dunno seems to be inappropriate behaviour. U may be right tho.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Even the most docile Ts get edgy when that new exoskeleton starts forming. Their already bad eyesight becomes even worse. All other sense become worse as well. It's kinda like if we were covered with a blanket and still have to survive with it on us for sometime.

AntonyR

Even the most docile Ts get edgy when that new exoskeleton starts forming. Their already bad eyesight becomes even worse. All other sense become worse as well. It's kinda like if we were covered with a blanket and still have to survive with it on us for sometime.
Thanks. Could you list few signs of a pre-molting process,please? I am quite inexperienced with this and she dis not molt since I have her. I thought that she is not going to molt anymore, she seems to be a mature adult considering the fact that she is about 5 inches

Fleas

3 Year Member
Thanks. Could you list few signs of a pre-molting process,please? I am quite inexperienced with this and she dis not molt since I have her. I thought that she is not going to molt anymore, she seems to be a mature adult considering the fact that she is about 5 inches
More webbing then normal, not eating, drinking more water, darkening of the butt area were they kick hair at(forget what it’s called) and more skittish

Nunua

3 Year Member
There is no appropriate or inappropriate behaviour when talking about tarantulas. After all, they're just wild animals with no understanding of cuddling and affection. No matter how gently you "test their mood", from their point of view you're harassing a creature who can barely see and relies on vibrations and touch they feel.

The main point is that one should never humanize a tarantula (well, any pet), because that's one of the reason that potentially causes disasters #Edit, thanks to @MassExodus : Not disasters. but bites and/or human freak outs. I sometimes have difficulties to get correct wording out :D

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no appropriate or inappropriate behaviour when talking about tarantulas. After all, they're just wild animals with no understanding of cuddling and affection. No matter how gently you "test their mood", from their point of view you're harassing a creature who can barely see and relies on vibrations and touch they feel.

The main point is that one should never humanize a tarantula (well, any pet), because that's one of the reason that potentially causes disasters.
Well said @Nunua couldn't agree more:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
tenor (11).gif

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

There's always a chance of another molt (unless mature male). I've not been in the hobby long but I do know tom Moran had a g portei ( I think) that didn't molt for 8 years.

G pulchripes can grow larger than 5 inches aswell so she could molt a few more times.

Back to arachnoclown said with the blanket. Imagine your in a pitch black room, you can hear or see nothing and you think your alone. Your not moving and suddenly something starts touching you. It'll definately make you jump.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

The main point is that one should never humanize a tarantula (well, any pet), because that's one of the reason that potentially causes disasters.
Well put. Only I would change "disasters" to bites, and/or human freak outs. Nothing disasterous about tarantulas, remember Nunua some folks are terrified of spiders ;)

Latest posts