• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive Brachypelma Vagans

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
Hey guys.

I'm still quite new to the hobby and was just wondering if anybody else has an extremely aggressive Brachypelma Vagans. Near every time I open the enclosure to feed or water I get the attack pose. S/he is around 1 and I've had it for the whole time. Nothing has changed apart from it's temperament and that's only been for the past 2/3 months. Any ideas?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
could be anything. My son's GBB will kick hairs at me anytime i open the enclosure, but my son can open it and the GBB will be fine. Could be going into premolt and just being *****y. Maybe there's something about you it doesn't like, cologne, hand lotion smell, etc. etc.

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
I do not handle my T's but I do use coco butter. Maybe it's that. Will give it a miss next feed day and see if there is any change. It has been like this since it's last molt about 2 months ago. Like it came out cranky. Thanks for your reply.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that could be it right there. Our GBB came out of the last molt being a total wench and very skittish. Prior to the molt it was a calm well mannered spider, at least for my son, it's never liked me ;)

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
It was never calm and was always a bit skittish but since it's last molt has shown the strike pose numerous times and even triple jumped out of it's enclosure. Thanks for putting me a little at ease though. Much appreciated.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Spiders temperaments change as they grow, and could change when they're adults as well. Just as an example, I have a 3.5 inch L dificilis that went from skittish to extremely defensive, slapping the ground and drooling venom when I open her enclosure. My big female genic has went from very standoffish to almost docile. They're a bit like hormonal teenage girls with their mood swings sometimes.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B.vagans are known for being pretty skittish and often rather defensive at times. Still not what I personally would consider a truly defensive species, but they're not as docile as your typical brachy.

Latest posts