• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Af Obt death

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So last night we noticed our af obt had flipped over and was in our eyes starting the moulting process.
This afternoon on closer inspection she has died but we don’t know why. There’s fluid coming from her mouth so we believe she went to moult but ran into issues?
She’s not eaten for a while so was due a moult but it’s pretty gutting tbh.
968DB80A-5D95-48EB-BAFD-62F884506F4F.jpeg
95A40A64-F90B-44F9-950E-2E6485ECF8D6.jpeg
F01FA159-0915-4327-B25C-5FDB6D606033.jpeg

Flipped her over (after we knew she hadnt made it) to see if anything was noticeable but looks fine.
Any ideas?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This exact thing happened to one of my mature female OBTs this year. Some kind of internal rupture. Almost like when they start secreting the fluids between the exoskeletons they are stuck and drown. I'm not sure that this is even possible but it's what I have observed.

Daniel Wilkinson

so sorry for your loss. Nothing further to add than what has already been said Unfortunaely these things sometime happen.
@Rs50matt you have been good to me in the past so I have a juvenile OBT that's yours pal. PM me and I will get it to you if you want a replacement. No rush, when you are ready.
What an absolute bloke ❤️

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This exact thing happened to one of my mature female OBTs this year. Some kind of internal rupture. Almost like when they start secreting the fluids between the exoskeletons they are stuck and drown. I'm not sure that this is even possible but it's what I have observed.

It’s kinda what we thought but wanted to see if anyone had any experience of it. Strange that yours was also an obt.

so sorry for your loss. Nothing further to add than what has already been said Unfortunaely these things sometime happen.
@Rs50matt you have been good to me in the past so I have a juvenile OBT that's yours pal. PM me and I will get it to you if you want a replacement. No rush, when you are ready.

Really do appreciate it Phil. I’ll pm you and go from there I guess.