• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for Grammostola pulchripes?

VarvatosVex

I am thinking about getting a sling of this species I was wondering what substrate would work best since they are fossorial and apparently love moving substrate around all the time. Also do they need sunlight or not really? I know they spend weeks burrowed away at times. Thanks.

timc

3 Year Member
Can’t say mine burrowed much as I recall, made use of any hides I provided but I don’t remember it being underground ever. My girl has lived on dry coco fiber for 7+ years now and is doing great. Sunlight? No.

VarvatosVex

Can’t say mine burrowed much as I recall, made use of any hides I provided but I don’t remember it being underground ever. My girl has lived on dry coco fiber for 7+ years now and is doing great. Sunlight? No.
Thank you. Sounds good. Did you get it as a sling?

timc

3 Year Member
Yup. About 3/4 inch when I got her.
A29CBD28-0B18-4F8E-87CB-08584187F262.jpeg

That’s the oldest picture I can find of her. Cute little bugger.
BAAF5E8B-035B-4C62-BFA8-9A0A33473BF6.jpeg

And that’s the most recent from a month or two ago. She’s just a shade under 5 inches and not even done yet. Love her to death. Now you’re on the hook to share pictures when you get yours.;):T:
(Also, my math was wrong. Had her 6 years. Not 7)

VarvatosVex

Yup. About 3/4 inch when I got her.View attachment 56523
That’s the oldest picture I can find of her. Cute little bugger.
View attachment 56524
And that’s the most recent from a month or two ago. She’s just a shade under 5 inches and not even done yet. Love her to death. Now you’re on the hook to share pictures when you get yours.;):T:
(Also, my math was wrong. Had her 6 years. Not 7)
Whoa. That is quite a change. Thanks for sharing.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How do we all feel about creature soil by zoomed. Mixed with coconut fiber? Would that be alright. I don't see verimculite or topsoil at store..i guess May be hardware store might have.
Here's my $0.02

Not that you asked me lol

VarvatosVex

Here's my $0.02

Not that you asked me lol
Thanks. I wanted to ask everyone in the thread. I'll look into that substrate.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My $0.03
I have been using the following, buying in bulk (3 packs come with free shipping and under $30) and I have been very happy with it. You can also add some coconut fiber to it to increase the amount (depending on how many enclosure you'll need).
Cheers.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts