• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adult arboreal enclosure size

Will

3 Year Member
For adult arboreals (specifically p metallica and p irminia) would an enclosure of 8" x 8" x 12" be of sufficient size?

I'm thinking of saving space really, otherwise I'd go for 12 x 12 x 18.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I have my adult female a.metallica in an 8x8x12 and shes happy enough. My adult female p.regalis is in a 12x12x18 and she doesnt use all the space, she stays in her hide 99% of the time. Ive just got another 8x8x12 for one of my new addituons, a female p.metallica that should be arriving today [emoji2]

Exotic

3 Year Member
im planning to make a new aquarium .. 8'x10' what height can I use for my bird eater .. it is 1 year old a think .. and 3 and half inches if im right

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you need more floor space than height for those. At 3.5" leg span you want an enclosure width of at least 7", but 10-12" would be better to give it more time before another rehouse.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Oh, sorry, if misread your post and answered the post of the OP about arboreal! My mistake!!!

For an adult terrestrial, around 20 cm (= 8 inches) or a little more is good. Most important is to be sure your T won't fall from a height that is way more than its maximum diagonal legspan. Which means it's important to put enough substrate. For your 3.5 inches T, you don't need too much height. A good rule could be: the dls of your T (or a little more, 1.5x?) = the space between substrate floor and top of the cage (for you: about 3.5 - 4 inches of space; then if you have an enclosure which is 8 inches height, you can fill it with around 4 inches substrate). But it all depends of the available enclosure you have: I don't hesitate to put some of my juvenile Ts in their adult enclosures, I'm only careful to give enough substrate.

Latest posts