• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adult aboreal arboreal enclusure size

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
Been reading around on space adult arboreal species require, Seen quite a lot of conflicts on what would be enough.

I've been thinking about getting 20x20x30 cm terrariums at some point for avic/poci, Would this be enough?
or would 30x30x45 cm be better?

I'd rather go with 20x20x30 because of space limitations.

Nunua

3 Year Member
What I have read, avics get approx. DLS of 13-15 cm, when pokies usually reach DLS >17.7 cm.
So I'd say that 20x20x30 is too small for both of them (as adults), at least if following the rule that terrarium height should preferably be 2.5xDLS on arboreal species.

jrh3

3 Year Member
if you get them as slings around 1 inch you can watch them grow plus will give you a few years to make space for when they get large enough.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What I have read, avics get approx. DLS of 13-15 cm, when pokies usually reach DLS >17.7 cm.
So I'd say that 20x20x30 is too small for both of them (as adults), at least if following the rule that terrarium height should preferably be 2.5xDLS on arboreal species.
agree with @Nunua and the 2-2.5xDLS on both arboreal and terrestrials, but width on terrestrials.

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
if you get them as slings around 1 inch you can watch them grow plus will give you a few years to make space for when they get large enough.

I'll get slings, Just wanna be informed and prepared. Got an empty rack with one 30x30x30 terrarium on it
but the rack isn't all that big to be honest and it's the only place i can keep them. If 20x20x30 isn't large
enough i just have to reconsider on what i want to get:) (amount wise)

Not sure what DLS means, I'm guessing it's diagonal leg span? if so i'm guessing 30x30x45 should be enough with shallow substrate? (for the avic at least)

Nunua

3 Year Member
I'll get slings, Just wanna be informed and prepared. Got an empty rack with one 30x30x30 terrarium on it
but the rack isn't all that big to be honest and it's the only place i can keep them. If 20x20x30 isn't large
enough i just have to reconsider on what i want to get:) (amount wise)

Not sure what DLS means, I'm guessing it's diagonal leg span? if so i'm guessing 30x30x45 should be enough with shallow substrate? (for the avic at least)

Oh, sorry.. Yes. DLS = diagonal leg span, like you guessed.

I'd say that 30x30x45 is ok for avics at least, but just remember that if you'll get pokies, they grow pretty fast and can get up to ~24 cm in DLS :)
But it's always good to ask and discuss before getting slings. It'd be really sad to see a small little baby to grow up into a beautiful, large spider that you suddenly don't have space to keep.

I don't own Ts yet, and all my information is got from reading several forums, pages, and care sheets, so I'd follow that (2-)2.5 x DLS rule (minimum height with arboreals, minimum width with terrestials). With slings this might vary every now and then, since they grow fast and it's sometimes better to keep them in a tad smaller containers to be able to take proper care of them, and make sure that they are able to get their prey.

Last edited:

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
I've been looking at adult poci's on youtube/forums. quite a few were kept in 30x30x45 exo terra's, I'll have to do some digging around on where to get that size.

Latest posts