• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acrylic/Glass enclosure suppliers in the UK?

Ajbeardow

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest the best place in the UK for acrylic or glass enclosures. Ideally looking for somewhere with a variety of sizes.

I saw @Enn49 recommend these https://spidershop.pl/en/product/terrarium-20x20x30/. Are these the best option for us in the UK, or is there anywhere closer to home?

Looked at some of the acrylic and glass suppliers in Lancashire, but judging by their prices, they're going to be nearly ten times the price just for the materials alone.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
unless you are specifically looking for something aesthetically pleasing, plastic storage boxes with drilled ventilation are far cheaper and I have yet to have a spider write a complaint letter to me so I guess they are happy?
:D:D:D

Joking apart, depending on the size of your collection and if on display etc then I understand the need for something that would take pride and place in a room :)

Ajbeardow

unless you are specifically looking for something aesthetically pleasing, plastic storage boxes with drilled ventilation are far cheaper and I have yet to have a spider write a complaint letter to me so I guess they are happy?
:D:D:D

Joking apart, depending on the size of your collection and if on display etc then I understand the need for something that would take pride and place in a room :)

Hahaha! I mean, they seem to have quite the comfortable life at yours! They have their own room after all.

Yeah I'm thinking more for display. These little A.gen will have pride of place as they grow up. As the collection expands, I'll probably have most in cheaper (and ultimately more practical) containers; but I do fancy a few on show. Maybe a couple heavy webbers or arboreals in some 360 enclosures.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hahaha! I mean, they seem to have quite the comfortable life at yours! They have their own room after all.

Yeah I'm thinking more for display. These little A.gen will have pride of place as they grow up. As the collection expands, I'll probably have most in cheaper (and ultimately more practical) containers; but I do fancy a few on show. Maybe a couple heavy webbers or arboreals in some 360 enclosures.
GBB for webbing and/or M Balfouri as communal and will look fab with a big enclosure full of web and little tunnels etc.
C versi for arboreal they are just simply stunning. Or a P met for the same reason. That's my suggestions anyway, I am sure others will have other suggestions for you :)

testdasi

Note that generally terrestrial species don't really need specially built enclosures. Long time ago when space wasn't a concern, I used to have a 10" L. parahybana and 8" A. geniculata on display in aquatic glass tanks. Ahh the good time. So you probably can save some cost if these custom built stuff are too expensive.

I found the special tanks (similar to Exo Terra kind) are only important for humidity-sensitive species and arboreal. The former is mainly for cross ventilation to reduce mold (a fish tank enclosure is likely to mold like crazy with wet substrate - been there, done that). The latter is for the front opening so you are less likely to destroy the webbing every feeding time.