• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accidental newby from California

Calico

3 Year Member
Hi all! I am totally new at this as I became a tarantula owner by accident. My husband went camping in the California desert and this little guy hitched a ride home with him in one of his bags! Now, I am the biggest arachnophobe there is and I never imagined I'd be one to even consider having a tarantula. But when we couldn't find any place that would take it and a 2 hour drive back to the desert, we decided to take the leap and give him a home.
So "Cal" and I will be asking lots of questions to try to help make this relationship work and I thank you all for letting us join your group.
Here is a picture of the moment he was discovered. He's definitely a baby or juvie as he's only about 2 inches. I think he is a Desert Blonde from what I have researched. If someone thinks otherwise, I'd like to know for sure.
Thank you!!
20170514_081657.jpg

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
He does look like a desert blonde, but there is much need for work on taxonomy in American species, so it is hard to be sure.

At any rate, welcome to the hobby! You can't be the biggest arachnophobe in the world since your cute little T is still alive. And I know a number of former arachnophobes who are now arachnophiles. They grow on you.

If you haven't heard already, there is no such thing as a deadly tarantula, and in some 10 years in the hobby with much hands on time with over 40 species, I have never been bit (though that is certainly possible). All that to say, once you get to know them, they are no where near as scary as we think.

For basic care, make sure your T has access to water, though it will certainly like a dry environment. You can feed it crickets, feeder roaches, meal worms and such that you can purchase from pet stores (wild caught feeders are at risk for pesticides or parasites). It may only need one feeder per week, so not a big expense there.

No need for a heat lamp, your T is a nocturnal animal and heat lamps can dry them out harshly. Room temperatures are fine.

I am sure there is more that can be said, and I am sure you have more questions, but that is all I have for now.

Do please keep us posted!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Calico

3 Year Member
Thank you for the information!

There will be no chance, hopefully, of being bitten as I don't plan on handling it. I really do like watching it though.

He (I hate to keep saying "it") is in a 5 gallon tank with about 3 inches of Eco Earth. Has a water dish and a half log "house". Guess he likes the house as he stays in there. Unfortunately, the husband thought they had to eat a lot so put about 5 crickets (store bought) in with him. They are tiny and after a few hours ate all but one. Maybe after a week in a closed up bag he was hungry....

Anyway, he seems to be doing good and I can't wait to see where this crazy road leads me. :p:T:

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Hello Calico.
Welcome to the forum!:T:

Seems ManlyMan7 has covered the basics for the intro.:)

People, here, are friendly & helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Plus, do share photos, experiences/stories with/of "Cal", and anything else you would like.
BTW Is 2" the length of "Cal's" body or is that his leg span?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to both the hobby and the forum.
You'd be surprise how many of us have been arachnophobes in the past, me included.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Alphonopelma is my favorite T. She is always out and about. Loves to rearrange her enclosure, Only hides when she is molting, and does some bizarre trance-like movements. She even climbs the walls of the enclosure at night.
Great T to start the addiction.
Your arachnophobia may morph in the near future to "Hi I'm Calico, and I admit that I have a T addiction disorder. I cannot control it so I am giving it up to a higher power" :p

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd share a pic, but right now she is in the late stages of pre-molt, has barricaded herself in her hide and has the "Do not disturb" sign up.

Calico

3 Year Member
what a great story - so glad you decided to keep 'it' - it is amazing to observe them- isn't it funny how we assign gender even though we don't know what they are? I do with all of mine LOL:T:......welcome!

I do find myself constantly watching him. I'm brave as long as that glass is between us! ;) But he is kinda cool. He was up on the side of the glass yesterday and I took a picture to see if I could see if male or female but that part of the body didn't come out clearly. I'll try again.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Calico I am glad too that you found this Forum - it can provide lots of accurate info...as well as empathetic ears....MY ordinary friends think my 'spider obsession' is a bit much. Arachnophiliacs are great people to get to know. If you want to read the blog of someone who got his first T because he was fearful look for Tom's Big Spiders.com And maybe you have an exotic pet show near where you live and you could go and see other spider species just for fun(look up Repticon - they don't just have reptiles)

Latest posts