• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acanthoscurria geniculata.

Randster01

3 Year Member
I have recently purchased a juvenile Brazilian white-knee tarantula. I am curious to when would be a sensible time to try to handle the tarantula.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have recently purchased a juvenile Brazilian white-knee tarantula. I am curious to when would be a sensible time to try to handle the tarantula.
Handling tarantulas is not recommended, and you definitely do not want to handle an A. geniculata as they can be defensive. Tarantulas do not benefit from handling, as it could potentially be dangerous if it falls.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are a look but don't touch pet. The feeding response is strong enough for you to get bitten before the T realized you're not food.

Watch feeding videos on YouTube about them. You'll see why they should never be handled. Having said that, they're awesome!!

It's the same for Lasiodoras as well.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They only time I handle is when I'm putting slings in little deli cup enclosures. Little boogers are all over the place sometimes. :D But seriously I dont handle unless it is to save a T from a hazardous situation. Which I can count all the times on one hand in the last 35 years. :T:

Greg

3 Year Member
This is the challenge: Many people say not to handle A.geniculata, and yet there are lots of youtube videos of people handling full grown ones very calmly. Of course, the prudent thing is always to say is "Do not handle" genics (or any T), for the spider's safety as well as your own. It seems to me that within the species, temperaments can vary widely. It seems best to start with a sling or juvenile and gradually and gently test its temperament to be able assess its potential to eventually handle. With a gentle abdomen nudge with soft brush: Turn around and strike = "No!". Mild hair flicking = "Maybe". Slowly walks away = "More likely". Keep in mind that they are wild, and never really "tame". They could bite for no apparent reason. I'd like to hear from experiences hobbyist handlers about their experiences.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I handle a few of mine occasionally, but it's fairly rare. The standard "touch of the back leg and observing its behavior" has always worked for me. I have a few very docile spiders that are very handleable. Neither of my genics are on that list, too skittish and tempermental. The big girl, in a bad mood, is actually kind of impressive. She used to have a collection of paintbrushes in her tank that she had ripped out of my hand. Sassy.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't handle. I did one time in 2014 when I got my B. albopilosum as a 2i sling as I was an arachnophobe, it took that one time to get over the fear and that was all it took for my fear to be no more. Since that day I have not handled, nor will I ever. Tarantulas don't benefit from handling, so there is no point in doing so.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Slings I handle...thats about it. Like I said before they're so hard to get in their little enclosures or bolt out at feeding. If I'm forced to handle a large Tarantula it's a pinch hold...safe for me and the tarantula. I don't see the fascination of letting a Tarantula spread their hairs all over you...its just silly. :rolleyes:

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I have been known to handle from time to time but it's purely for selfish reasons. Every time I have handled I have done so with the full expectation of getting bit. I rarely handle, and I do so knowing that if something were to happen it is my fault. The more I advance in this hobby, the less desire I have to touch my Ts. For their well-being I believe it is best not to.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Well, I'm pretty sure that OP is not coming back but anyway. My first T is also a genic, and so far I'd say that no handling for her.
She's just a juvie with a leg span around 8 cm (3.15") and behaves extremely well if I tap her legs with a brush to move her into a temporary container, but she has the famous genic greed and speed :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't handle. I did one time in 2014 when I got my B. albopilosum as a 2i sling as I was an arachnophobe, it took that one time to get over the fear and that was all it took for my fear to be no more. Since that day I have not handled, nor will I ever. Tarantulas don't benefit from handling, so there is no point in doing so.
Agreed, it's completely selfish motivation that drives me when I handle mine.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed, it's completely selfish motivation that drives me when I handle mine.
Are you on instagram? If so, you would wish you were blind from seeing quite a few of the handling photos people post, just this morning someone posted a picture of them handling a C. darlingi. A few weeks ago it was an S. calceatum.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are you on instagram? If so, you would wish you were blind from seeing quite a few of the handling photos people post, just this morning someone posted a picture of them handling a C. darlingi. A few weeks ago it was an S. calceatum.
No, I'm not too fond of social media. To each their own I suppose. I've handled both my poecis, not on purpose, but to be honest it was pretty freakin awesome. Lol. Not that I intend to ever do it again. I'll stick with my new world babies.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is a video of this guy getting bitten by an OBT on purpose. Heck, some people even handle centipedes.

Aside from emergencies, there's really no need to do it. A paintbrush and catch cup with a lid are your friends.

Usually I feed my girl first and then move things around her enclosure. I'll also let her cool down as well. Neither of us has tried to feed upon the other!!

If the price of biting something equals dropping of dinner, dinner wins most of the time.

ALD

3 Year Member
I believe they are a hands off pet. I'm not judging those who do handle. I just feel like if it does not benefit them, and puts them at risk - what is the point? A long make up brush, tongs and catch cup are all I need. I don't have a desire to handle. Safety of the T is priority.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really, you guys never want to feel what it's like to hold one, feel it walk across your skin? The little claws are wicked feeling. How can someone have a bunch of spiders as pets and never touch them? I mean you're right, it doesn't benefit the spider. It's purely for my own enjoyment. That's the point..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True. It's still pretty cool to hold one occasionally:D I suppose it shouldn't be encouraged though. There's sure to be some weeney that gets bitten and calls an ambulance, the cops, and the local news channel. Or smashes or throws the spider...