• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Acanthoscurria Geniculata problem...

Crax

Legs disappeared 33 days ago and reemerged on the second of December. She has not molted yet. I am, however, concerned.

First concern, odd behavior: doesn't want to eat but drinks tons (for a spood) of water. Today and yesterday, that's all she has done. Not moving much but constantly drinking. Ignored her super worm.

Second, her abdomen: It's dry and scaly. It has a raised scaly bump. Bit worried she's rubbing herself on her hide.

I've had A. Genics before but never had this happen. This is the first one I have had hide during a premolt.

Attachments

• 20191203_124818.jpg
    20191203_124818.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20191203_124728.jpg
    20191203_124728.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Nunua

3 Year Member
Your genic is most likely drinking to make sure there is enough internal liquids before she starts molting. It's essential for them to have liquids to pump between the new and old exoskeleton, otherwise the old one won't come off. Several problems with tarantulas getting stuck in the old exoskeleton are due the lack of internal liquids (aka certain level of dehydration).

Few of my Ts are exactly like this genic of yours when in premolt. They stay hidden for a long time and emerge only to drink. Therefore I wouldn't be worried about this behavior going on :) I'm also pretty sure that has has re-emerged to drink several times during those 33 days and you just haven't seen that as they tend to do that when it's calm (= night time or when you're away)

And you said the abdomen is scaly? I can't see any scaling or flaking going on, more like white fluff which is nothing but urticating hairs that are rubbed off but not flicked in the air. My genic's butt look like that when in premolt or when she tried to kick some hairs at me. Some of new world Ts, including genics, use urticating hairs to make the area more safe when molting - They also plant a huge amount of those hairs on their moltmat and on them. It's just a layer of defense.

Crax

Your genic is most likely drinking to make sure there is enough internal liquids before she starts molting. It's essential for them to have liquids to pump between the new and old exoskeleton, otherwise the old one won't come off. Several problems with tarantulas getting stuck in the old exoskeleton are due the lack of internal liquids (aka certain level of dehydration).

Few of my Ts are exactly like this genic of yours when in premolt. They stay hidden for a long time and emerge only to drink. Therefore I wouldn't be worried about this behavior going on :) I'm also pretty sure that has has re-emerged to drink several times during those 33 days and you just haven't seen that as they tend to do that when it's calm (= night time or when you're away)

And you said the abdomen is scaly? I can't see any scaling or flaking going on, more like white fluff which is nothing but urticating hairs that are rubbed off but not flicked in the air. My genic's butt look like that when in premolt or when she tried to kick some hairs at me. Some of new world Ts, including genics, use urticating hairs to make the area more safe when molting - They also plant a huge amount of those hairs on their moltmat and on them. It's just a layer of defense.

No I'm quite sure she didn't come out during those 33 days. She clogged the front of her hide up with coco fiber and the only way to get out is through the opening Legs had filled. She loved her aquarium barrel and ignored the cork bark. I took out the bark and she seemed content with the set up.

Like I said, I have had A. genics before but never one that hid or would go so long without water or even food but hey, that didn't worry as much as not drinking. For some reason she decided to do this and it worries the crap out of me.

I've seen her abdomen go somewhat bald but not scaly before. I think after this molt, I'm going to pull her hide and put in a slightly larger one.

Of course all this worry could stem from the fact I thought she would have molted by now, and she hasn't. I'm just hoping its all for nothing and she'll be fine. I might start up the humidifier again to ensure everyone, including her, has enough moisture in the air.

PS: Thanks for all the insight. I do appreciate it. I do know some spoods drink fluids before a molt but never to this extent! lol

Thanks everyone. :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My diamantinensis sealed itself up like that with substrate in the webbing, when in premoult. But it was adept at taking a little down to come out and drink when the room was dark and would sneakily repair the web after. Probably only came out 1 or 2 though.

If you recently changed the hide, maybe she's been kicking extra hair, the first lot because it's a new hide and now even more because she's preparing to go into that vulnerable moulting state. That could be the reason why it looks different to you compared to previous times.

I think a moult is very imminent!

Mountaineerfan

My geniculata sling has buried herself completely! Thankfully, the tunnel run along the side of the enclosure, so I'm able to see her from time to time. I've been keeping the soil moist, but I have seen no evidence of her ever coming out, and I can't see any entrance. Since I see her moving around once in awhile, I assume she's doing whatever she does and is healthy, but it seems odd that she hasn't come out at all in about 3 weeks. She does look to be bigger, so hopefully she was just molting.