• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A moderatum husbandry

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What's up my T family? I have an A moderatum that's about 1 1/4 inches and was looking for best husbandry suggestions for this species. At night it gets a little overactive trying to always climb out of the container that it's in. I provided a hide, source of water, and the substrate is coconut fiber. I keep it more on the dry side only lightly misting every 4 days. The container is about 18 inches wide by 5 inches high. I put 3 inches of substrate to prevent injury from fall and I even have the hide situated 2 1/2 inches deep for burrowing. This T is very sweet just quite skittish, she will even run from small crickets at times. I have a nice husbandry set up but yet, still climbs a lot at night, during the day, inside her hide. Wondering if I need to rehouse or reconstruct the husbandry to calm her down? Thank you for any suggestions! :)

T-Baby

3 Year Member
It sounds to me like you have everything perfectly fine for your Moderatum, I personally don’t mist Aphonopelma species as they like it dry I just change the water every few days but that’s just what I do.. Tarantulas are nocturnal so will in theory be more active during night times, she could simply be hunting or seeking a way out. I tend to feed more in the evenings to simulate this. Not to mention it’s only small, smaller T’s are more skittish and/or burrow.
They also have their own character, my 2 Strimi’s aren’t the same. 1 hides and 1 is very defensive/skittish but as she grows up she could change... at the end of the day she’s a small spider in a big world (tank)

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds to me like you have everything perfectly fine for your Moderatum, I personally don’t mist Aphonopelma species as they like it dry I just change the water every few days but that’s just what I do.. Tarantulas are nocturnal so will in theory be more active during night times, she could simply be hunting or seeking a way out. I tend to feed more in the evenings to simulate this. Not to mention it’s only small, smaller T’s are more skittish and/or burrow.
They also have their own character, my 2 Strimi’s aren’t the same. 1 hides and 1 is very defensive/skittish but as she grows up she could change... at the end of the day she’s a small spider in a big world (tank)
@T-Baby Thank you so much for reading this thread and for your very helpful response! :D. This is very true, I noticed the smaller ones have more burrowing tendencies and as they get older they chill out and stay out in the open more. Is the same true for A seemani that they like it dry too? I will definitely take that into strong consideration and just use the water dish as a humidity source :). My A moderatum is so shy that it takes me several attempts sometimes to even feed her 1 cricket, and she will only eat once every 2 weeks, very slow growing. Thank you so much for your help my friend! :)

T-Baby

3 Year Member
@T-Baby Thank you so much for reading this thread and for your very helpful response! :D. This is very true, I noticed the smaller ones have more burrowing tendencies and as they get older they chill out and stay out in the open more. Is the same true for A seemani that they like it dry too? I will definitely take that into strong consideration and just use the water dish as a humidity source :). My A moderatum is so shy that it takes me several attempts sometimes to even feed her 1 cricket, and she will only eat once every 2 weeks, very slow growing. Thank you so much for your help my friend! :)

Unless it’s a genus that prefers high humidify I don’t mist any Tarantula as it causes mould, for the ones that need misting I have a lot of cross ventilation to prevent that. Even with slings I use the smallest tattoo ink pots as water dishes, if you look at the attached picture :)
If she’s shying away from food, prekilling the prey is always an option and sadly yes as with all Aphonopelma’s you’ll be waiting a long time for growth hence why some adults can be costly.
You are most welcome for the help, any other questions feel free to ask :D

Attachments

• 3A53FEC4-E78B-4FB7-A817-EA64885CDD9A.jpeg
    3A53FEC4-E78B-4FB7-A817-EA64885CDD9A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually give her a medium to small sized cricket and it has to be in front of her or else she will run! As long as I put it in front of her as to not surprise her then she grabs it with a vengeance :D:eek:. I wait until she goes into her hide to give her one because that is when she is courageous to strike at prey. I know they are desert dwellers from Texas so low humidity will not harm them so I think I'm gonna stick with just a water source at the corner and nothing else. Plenty of cross ventilation is there :). I love this species, so fascinating and beautiful, hard to come by :D. You have been a tremendous help, thank you so much!

AndrewClayton

What's up my T family? I have an A moderatum that's about 1 1/4 inches and was looking for best husbandry suggestions for this species. At night it gets a little overactive trying to always climb out of the container that it's in. I provided a hide, source of water, and the substrate is coconut fiber. I keep it more on the dry side only lightly misting every 4 days. The container is about 18 inches wide by 5 inches high. I put 3 inches of substrate to prevent injury from fall and I even have the hide situated 2 1/2 inches deep for burrowing. This T is very sweet just quite skittish, she will even run from small crickets at times. I have a nice husbandry set up but yet, still climbs a lot at night, during the day, inside her hide. Wondering if I need to rehouse or reconstruct the husbandry to calm her down? Thank you for any suggestions! :)
You’re setup seems fine as @T-Baby said no point in misting, what I do is just overflow the water dish as they burrow and overflowing the water dish soaks the bottom layers allowing your T to burrow to the about of moisture it desires. As for A seemani I do the same but other aphonopelma like chalchodes are more arid and like it dry

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You’re setup seems fine as @T-Baby said no point in misting, what I do is just overflow the water dish as they burrow and overflowing the water dish soaks the bottom layers allowing your T to burrow to the about of moisture it desires. As for A seemani I do the same but other aphonopelma like chalchodes are more arid and like it dry
Definitely gonna give that a try! The A moderatum are very intelligent, mine dug a hole between her hide and the water source so that if the source overflows a bit of water trickles down through the hole into the side of the hide, sorta like she made her own irrigation system :D. And yes, I did notice my A chalcodes likes much more drier than my A moderatum and A seemani. Chalcodes are quite the interesting and enigmatic species, mine literally made a path of thick web on the substrate like a intricate network of webbing leading straight to her burrow, I love Aphonopelmas! Thank you @AndrewClayton for your help and for reading this thread!