• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A minnow-eating LP?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
A buddy and I went fishing the other day and he asked me if Esmeralda (my 5.5" LP) would eat a small minnow. I told him I didn't know if she would or not. Aside from not being gut loaded like the crix she devours, I wasn't sure if there is any harm (or value) in it. I told him that I would throw it out to forum members and get some thoughts. That being said, any thoughts?
:T:

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Can't see it being any different to a t eating a rodent or small bird or lizard. I've seen a video of a H. gigas catching and eating a minnow in its enclosure which was set up -not sure if semi-aquatic is an accurate description- but there was a tub of water at substrate level. Apparently they've been observed doing this in the wild so the big thing now is to add a mini fishing pond to their enclosures lol.
The bolus would be horrid though.

Having said all that I wouldn't want to feed one anything wild caught, because I don't know what internal parasites it could be carrying or whether they could be transmitted to the tarantula.

Latest posts