• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A handling vid - Pretty large pede

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Man, I've chatted with you several times, it's amazing that I never picked up on the fact that you're insane. Lmao. Props. You got huevos. I love mine, but he still creeps me all the way out..it will be quite awhile before I try something like this. Like, never. :D I keep tape on the abomination's lid as an extra precaution. I can feel it watching me at night...

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Nice vid man, good to see some videos showcasing the fact that centipedes are not bloodthirsty beasts and can be handled, though it's still not incredibly wise to do so. :D

micheldied

3 Year Member
Man, I've chatted with you several times, it's amazing that I never picked up on the fact that you're insane. Lmao. Props. You got huevos. I love mine, but he still creeps me all the way out..it will be quite awhile before I try something like this. Like, never. :D I keep tape on the abomination's lid as an extra precaution. I can feel it watching me at night...

Hah, pedes are pretty easy to handle when they've got food! I'll be trying without feeding first and I'll make a new video. Prepare to see me get bit! Which species do you have?

Nice vid man, good to see some videos showcasing the fact that centipedes are not bloodthirsty beasts and can be handled, though it's still not incredibly wise to do so. :D

Thanks. This one is very calm. Most dehaani I've had in the past were exactly as you described, though; "bloodthirsty beasts".

micheldied

3 Year Member
I uh, I have a dehaani..it seems quite bitey and unreasonable.

Yeah that's like the worst beginner centipede... they have a pretty nasty venom, and a mean disposition. :confused:

Unfortunately, they're also the most common pede (which is why I'm really trying to work on breeding the large SA pedes, that are way calmer). I've handled dehaani before, and it's extremely nerve-wracking. I've had dozens of them, and most of them were pretty crazy.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I keep telling myself I need one of these (not that exact type) because they give me the heebies. I figured I'd learn to like them ..but then I read a little more and talk myself right back out of it. 8 legs is enough for me. It's huge and healthy looking though :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
I keep telling myself I need one of these (not that exact type) because they give me the heebies. I figured I'd learn to like them ..but then I read a little more and talk myself right back out of it. 8 legs is enough for me. It's huge and healthy looking though :)

I know a ton of people who are into inverts but will never go near a centipede. Always makes me scratch my head. I personally love them more than Ts.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know a ton of people who are into inverts but will never go near a centipede. Always makes me scratch my head. I personally love them more than Ts.
I've always been proud of the fact that bugs don't scare me or creep me out. I actually got this one because they do creep me out a little, and I don't care for it. I'm learning to appreciate them, I do like it..but it still wont be crawling on my hand anytime soon. I'm quite sure I'll be getting more of them though. I love the alien looking bugs.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always been proud of the fact that bugs don't scare me or creep me out. I actually got this one because they do creep me out a little, and I don't care for it. I'm learning to appreciate them, I do like it..but it still wont be crawling on my hand anytime soon. I'm quite sure I'll be getting more of them though. I love the alien looking bugs.
It's literally the only one that does that to me. I always move them carefully when they get inside, but millipedes don't do this to me only them. And some of them are really pretty. I'd have one of the feather legged ones. (Sorry don't have a clue as to proper name here)

micheldied

3 Year Member

Even though I do it, I wouldn't recommend anyone ever handle their pedes, or Ts. To be honest there's absolutely no point in it for the animal.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok now, my dehanni only moves that slowly and calmly when its under its bark, feeling comfortable. I don't suppose ill find any galpagosensis for sale here in the states..im going to look. That's a sweetheart..

micheldied

3 Year Member
Ok now, my dehanni only moves that slowly and calmly when its under its bark, feeling comfortable. I don't suppose ill find any galpagosensis for sale here in the states..im going to look. That's a sweetheart..

Unfortunately for us all, the big SA pedes are just rare and unavailable pretty much everywhere, and you have to pay a real premium to own one. The problem is no one bothers to breed them, and so they're just kept like trophies until they die.
I've also heard they live very short lives.