• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Geniculata enclosure

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm ordering my son a 1" geniculata on Friday and had a few concerns on an enclosure.

I have a 4x7x7 Kritter Keeper that is empty now i can house the geni in. Topsoil, cocofiber, and vermiculite substrate mix with a water dish and some moistened sphagnum moss should keep it moist enough? or should i mist a side of the enclosure also?

I've read a few care sheets and most agree that it's not really a burrowing species, but does need a hide, so i'll make a hide for it. I'm thinking i should make the substrate deep just in case he wants to burrow, and to avoid damage from falling off the top of the cage.

Is it true they'll be 3-4" within a year? actually less since this one is already 1" permitting the temp and moisture are good.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your plan sounds good. At 1" you can put put in a bottle cap for a water dish, caps from 3 liter soda bottles are great. They do burrow when young.
Yes they grow rapidly.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Scoolman. He's actually 1.5" i just checked Kenthebugguy again.

Also looking at an enclosure for the future when he's larger. How deep does the substrate need to be when he's close to full size, like 6+ inches? I've been looking at doing something like Spiderdad did with the storage container but i don't think the ones in the garage are deep enough. They're 50 qt. - roughly 24"Lx12H"x16"W I'm thinking i need deeper to give them enough depth to burrow as well as overhead room. Or should i make a burrow for him and lower the substrate to use these containers I have?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My adult female created a scrape, about 4 inches deep, under a half of cork round, she has made no real effort to burrow. She spends more time out in the open than in her hide. Her enclosure is a 20gal long aquarium, and yes she uses the entire area. Her hide is on one end, her sitting/hunting spot is just passed the middle close to the other end.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My adult female created a scrape, about 4 inches deep, under a half of cork round, she has made no real effort to burrow. She spends more time out in the open than in her hide. Her enclosure is a 20gal long aquarium, and yes she uses the entire area. Her hide is on one end, her sitting/hunting spot is just passed the middle close to the other end.
Thanks! A 20 G aquarium is cheaper than what I was looking at the crates and acrylic pieces for. I'll do that, get the screen lid and some decor. :)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! A 20 G aquarium is cheaper than what I was looking at the crates and acrylic pieces for. I'll do that, get the screen lid and some decor. :)
Heavy gauge reptile screen, not the aluminium screen. They can tear through aluminum screen easily.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting thread, I am expecting my first genic by next week too. :)
My son has wanted one of these since day 1. so i promised to make it an xmas present that he gets early as he'll be with his mom for the school break. I'll be ordering it from Ken the bug guy Friday so it should be here Tuesday, along with a G. Rosea and B. Alpo for me :) T's are like Lays, you can't order just one 1 lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My experience with genics is that they're not fast growers, I've got a two inch sling/juvie that was 1/4 inch when I got her a year ago. Medium growth rate, but not like an Lp :) perhaps it's because I keep her at 75 degrees though. Its certainly not from lack of eating, she's always been a fat lil piggy

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My temp is like that during the winter 80ish in the summer. It gets dry here in the summer so i'm ordering a swamp cooler to help with humidy and keep the temps out of the 90s inside ;)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine was acquired 2009 at .25"
2011 they were 1.5"
Today, the female I kept for myself, is well over 6"
This is the only picture, May 2014, I have for size reference. She is one of my display Ts when I do elementary school presentations.
I do not recommend anyone handle their tarantula.
20140506_195738.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My big female. She's molted once since this pic, and is due another in late Jan, if my calculations are correct. My little female could molt at anytime, I can't open the top without her kicking fluffs of hair everywhere. She gets a little cranky when its her time. Just thought I'd throw a terrible pic of my new fascination, the Amblypygids out there :) Their feeding before work really made my day. More like Amblypiggys.:rolleyes:
IMG_20151012_082734.jpg
IMG_20151203_010237.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My big female. She's molted once since this pic, and is due another in late Jan, if my calculations are correct. My little female could molt at anytime, I can't open the top without her kicking fluffs of hair everywhere. She gets a little cranky when its her time. Just thought I'd throw a terrible pic of my new fascination, the Amblypygids out there :) Their feeding before work really made my day. More like Amblypiggys.:rolleyes:
View attachment 12569 View attachment 12570

Those ambly's give me the creepy crawlies just looking at them lol.

So to recap the Genic enclosure the small Kritter Keeper will be his home for now. If i fill it with about 2.5" of sub that leaves him about the same to the top of the enclosure, should i put in a bit more to lessen the likelyhood of damage if he climbs and falls? He'll need substrate more damp than my 1/4 slings, i dampen the sub for them just enough so it will pack and keep form.

Will i need to mist the side for the Genic "Savage"? or would it be better to do the trick with the paint brush handle and water down the side to keep the sub moist. I'll be drilling holes in the ends to help with ventilation so i'm not worried about mold.

A sphagnum moss bed in the corner moistened would be beneficial? And should i start a burrow for him or let him do his own?

Did i miss anything?

Wg25

3 Year Member
Mine was acquired 2009 at .25"
2011 they were 1.5"
Today, the female I kept for myself, is well over 6"
This is the only picture, May 2014, I have for size reference. She is one of my display Ts when I do elementary school presentations.
I do not recommend anyone handle their tarantula.
View attachment 12568
Gorgeous Tarantula Scoolman! :) The very first Tarantula I ever owned was an A.geniculata and they are my favourite species! Mine is just over 2 years old! And she is very aggressive when disturbed! But still a sweetheart ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those ambly's give me the creepy crawlies just looking at them lol.

So to recap the Genic enclosure the small Kritter Keeper will be his home for now. If i fill it with about 2.5" of sub that leaves him about the same to the top of the enclosure, should i put in a bit more to lessen the likelyhood of damage if he climbs and falls? He'll need substrate more damp than my 1/4 slings, i dampen the sub for them just enough so it will pack and keep form.

Will i need to mist the side for the Genic "Savage"? or would it be better to do the trick with the paint brush handle and water down the side to keep the sub moist. I'll be drilling holes in the ends to help with ventilation so i'm not worried about mold.

A sphagnum moss bed in the corner moistened would be beneficial? And should i start a burrow for him or let him do his own?

Did i miss anything?
Sounds good. I wouldn't personally worry about a two inch drop. I use moss in one corner and keep it damp as well. Just watch the moisture level, let it dry out in there once in awhile ;) I wouldn't start a burrow, I don't like to encourage such behavior :p

Latest posts