• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Genic Sling and What Size Enclosure?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
I have two tarantulas already, a b. smithi and t. albo and while I have tried my luck with c. versicolor, I have lost two slings. So, I am taking a break from them, for now. My girlfriend greenlit me for another tarantula purchase, so I decided on an a. genic sling. I figured I am doing well with terrestrials, may as well stick with them for the time being.

I am not sure of the size of this sling, but it actually did just molt for me and I had since Thursday of this week. I want to say maybe 1/2 an inch. I am going to post a photo of the enclosure that it is in that came with the tarantula. You can actually see the sling in the bottom right corner. This is pre-molt. This is the same size enclosure that my b. smithi came in and it was roughly the same size as this a. genic sling a year and several months ago. The only time the b. smithi missed a meal was when it was in pre-molt. Usually what I did is when I was feeding it, I would just place the prey item near it and it would eat. I can always do the same with this a . genic.

My question is though, should I change the enclosure? With the losses of the versicolors, I am a little nervous. They were in an appropriately sized enclosure for their size. Was never able to figure out why they died and was told that my husbandry of them was spot on for them. Was told it can happen with slings, especially versicolors. The second photo is of the two enclosures that I have available to me as they are what one of the versicolors came in and what the t. albo came in. I guess I could also clean out a cricket container that I think maybe a 16 oz. deli cup.

195675767_10159325354048048_1821158079488756818_n.jpg

195539610_10159325355133048_4351917507515613358_n.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Little half inch slings I keep in 5 oz snack cups filled half with substrate packed down and a little bit of moss to hold moisture, no water dish

When they reach about one and a half inches in size you can move it to that enclosure in the first picture, if it's the one I think it is, and add a water dish