• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at getting into Tarantula's. I find them pretty fascinating, but I'm also worried about getting one and treating it badly. I have a few questions;

I really want to get a sling, I want a baby that I can feed and watch grow over time. Is this advised? Are slings particularly frail or have high mortality rates?
Can Tarantula's live together? I believe they can't. Are they simply creatures that live alone?
I hear they are very immobile animals, sometimes sitting in their burrows for weeks sometimes, waiting for prey. So how can you tell if your spider is hungry or sick or about to molt?
Why are all Tarantula boxes so small? I would think in the wild they have all the space in the forest. Or do they just stay wherever they are born?
Does having a Tarantula in your house/room naturally deter other insects or spiders from entering your house/room? Can they sense it? What are the odds of a bug getting into an enclosure. What about ants? I feel like ants would be a big problem.

Sorry if I asked stupid questions, I'm legit so interested.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’ll try break it down so it’s easy to follow... :)

You can get a sling or 2 first Ts. I did and so did many others. Some slings can just not make it but there are quite a few slings that are hardy and will be able to tolerate some mistakes. Mortality rates are not that high.

Not all species but yes. Tarantulas can live together. M Balfouri and N incei/ incei gold are very common communal set ups. Poecilotheria species are also possible to keep communally but not as common.

Some Ts are “pet rocks” some are very active. They can also have cycles. My E Campestratus was hidden in her burrow for a few months. Now it’s warmer she comes out every evening for a wander. Other Ts will always be out on show and some others will hide for most of their lives. It can also vary with individual specimen within the same species

You can offer food weekly for your T and sometimes it might refuse to eat so just remove the food and let it be, after a while you’ll learn the characteristics of your Ts and you’ll know when they’re hungry.

In the animal kingdom , even thou we think tarantulas are “massive spiders” they are still very small animals so they will find somewhere they feel safe and spend most of their lives in their burrow or tree, wherever they take residence. 9/10 when you see a tarantula on Tv wandering around in the wild it’ll be a male looking for a female to mate. Reason the enclosures are somewhat small is because they don’t require much space. You can have one as big as you like but most keepers have a lot of Ts so smaller enclosures means more enclosures :)

I would say no, I’ve not noticed any change in insects I get In my room because of Ts. Depending what bugs you mean. Occasionally you might get a few nats but larger bugs can’t get in the enclosures as it might mean you T can get out :eek:

I’ve never had an issue with ants but yes. I’m sure they are not good for Ts. As long as you keep the room relatively clean and don’t leave feeders or anything on the floor I would have thought you will be fine? But I can’t give a proper answer to this so I’m sorry.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions on here. If you don’t know the answer then it isn’t a stupid question. It’s better to ask something you think is simple than to have a dead spider and ask what went wrong :D.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it! Really informative answers.
I think I will get two slings, shouldn't be more than I can manage.

In the animal kingdom , even thou we think tarantulas are “massive spiders” they are still very small animals so they will find somewhere they feel safe and spend most of their lives in their burrow or tree, wherever they take residence. 9/10 when you see a tarantula on Tv wandering around in the wild it’ll be a male looking for a female to mate. Reason the enclosures are somewhat small is because they don’t require much space. You can have one as big as you like but most keepers have a lot of Ts so smaller enclosures means more enclosures :)

This, is really interesting, I didn't think about it that way - they are the biggest spiders but overall they are tiny compared to almost everything else.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So my friend got into Tarantula's a while back and he's also partially my reason for getting invested in them now.
He showed me a few T's and I decided on 1x Grammostola pulchripes and 1x Brachypelma albopilosum.

I won't get them yet, because I first wanna do all my research, but I can see this happening sooner rather than later, im excited!

Do you think those two are okay to get? I will keep them in separate enclosures.

How do Tarantula's leave their birth place? Are they just born and they all go their own way? What would a sling eat in the wild? It's so small!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd say very good choices. I always recommend Grammostola Pulchripes among others as a good starter T and they are one of my favourites. Albopilosum are also very good beginner Ts and highly regarded in the hobby. Be aware that there are 2 species of Albopilosum available. Hondouran and Nicaraguan. Same species but from different locations. Both equally as good but the pictures you'll see of the more hairy and curly ones are Nicaraguan.

Those 2 are perfectly good species to get into the hobby with and also quite hardy slings.
Best way to keep them will be in an enclosure with dry compacted substrate (coco fibre, potting soil, nothing with any fertiliser in it as it could be toxic for the T) a small water dish (they won't drown so don't use a sponge) and somewhere dark to hide , they won't always use it but will more than likely burrow and dig their own home.
Main reason spiders lay so many eggs is because in the wild the survival rate isn't particularly high, leaving their mothers burrow is risky and most likely done at night where they will wonder off looking for somewhere to hide and grow.

In the wild they will eat anything they can. They will also scavenge other dead insects. In the hobby it depends on other animals you have. I give slings a variety of cut up morio worms , bean weevils , roach nymphs and also cricket legs. Although I don't like crickets so I avoid them now if I can. I don't use anything wild caught as a note. Just incase they are contaminated with pesticides. There is a chance they aren't but not worth the risk.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi there @InternetSwag. Just wanted to say, hey I love your questions! You're asking stuff I've never thought of before, so keep those interesting questions coming, if you think of any more, lol! @Rs50matt has given solid answers to what you asked above.

You asked about ants. If you ever did have an infestation of ants, they could find their way into your T's enclosure, and invite all their little buddies, and could harm or even kill your T. There are ways to deal with them without using insecticides which could harm your T. It basically boils down to finding out where they are entering and plugging that entry point. Sweeping up the remaining ants, and if there are any in the enclosure, remove them by changing the substrate.

I love your question about whether the presence of a T in the home could deter insects. I've never thought of that before! I don't believe it would as flies etc certainly don't seem put off by the presence of housespider, so maybe they wouldn't sense each other unless in very close proximity.

You've made 2 really good choices there on the T's you plan to get. Keep us updated!

Tschorm

Would like to ask another question, can T´s sence there pray over 2-3 meters distance? I´m noticing mine allways hugging the corner off the encloser in the direction where I store my cricket´s and if it adviseble to store them in a different room maybe to reduce stress?

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I'd say very good choices. I always recommend Grammostola Pulchripes among others as a good starter T and they are one of my favourites. Albopilosum are also very good beginner Ts and highly regarded in the hobby. Be aware that there are 2 species of Albopilosum available. Hondouran and Nicaraguan. Same species but from different locations. Both equally as good but the pictures you'll see of the more hairy and curly ones are Nicaraguan.

Those 2 are perfectly good species to get into the hobby with and also quite hardy slings.
Best way to keep them will be in an enclosure with dry compacted substrate (coco fibre, potting soil, nothing with any fertiliser in it as it could be toxic for the T) a small water dish (they won't drown so don't use a sponge) and somewhere dark to hide , they won't always use it but will more than likely burrow and dig their own home.
Main reason spiders lay so many eggs is because in the wild the survival rate isn't particularly high, leaving their mothers burrow is risky and most likely done at night where they will wonder off looking for somewhere to hide and grow.

In the wild they will eat anything they can. They will also scavenge other dead insects. In the hobby it depends on other animals you have. I give slings a variety of cut up morio worms , bean weevils , roach nymphs and also cricket legs. Although I don't like crickets so I avoid them now if I can. I don't use anything wild caught as a note. Just incase they are contaminated with pesticides. There is a chance they aren't but not worth the risk.

Ahh makes sense, didn't think about pesticides and toxins. Would have been cool to catch a roach and feed him to a T, but pesticides are a no no.

What I found interesting is that when I read up on Wikipedia it said that many of these Tarantula's are 'threatened' as in they could go extinct due to habitat destruction. Yet, I can buy that tarantula for 10$ like they're doing better in captivity than in nature.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hi there @InternetSwag. Just wanted to say, hey I love your questions! You're asking stuff I've never thought of before, so keep those interesting questions coming, if you think of any more, lol! @Rs50matt has given solid answers to what you asked above.

You asked about ants. If you ever did have an infestation of ants, they could find their way into your T's enclosure, and invite all their little buddies, and could harm or even kill your T. There are ways to deal with them without using insecticides which could harm your T. It basically boils down to finding out where they are entering and plugging that entry point. Sweeping up the remaining ants, and if there are any in the enclosure, remove them by changing the substrate.

I love your question about whether the presence of a T in the home could deter insects. I've never thought of that before! I don't believe it would as flies etc certainly don't seem put off by the presence of housespider, so maybe they wouldn't sense each other unless in very close proximity.

You've made 2 really good choices there on the T's you plan to get. Keep us updated!
Thanks! I'm happy I didn't just say weird stuff lol.

Yeah, ants are terrifying. I was youtubing last night and saw fire ants eat a Tarantula. Little Piranhas they are!

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I saw my friends tarantula's today. All tiny slings, he has 9 now. One he said he was worried about, it was sooo small, smaller than the tip of my pinky finger. I'll probably get mine soon, just need to buy a few things first.

Can you put an actual real life plant in a tarantula enclosure? Everyone seems to glue a fake plant to a piece of bark. I like that idea, just curious.

Should I do the same? I'm scared of putting too much stuff in and not being able to see my T and check if he's ok.

Do T's need a natural light source? I'm gonna keep them in my room. In my cupboard about 1.5m from the ground.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Would like to ask another question, can T´s sence there pray over 2-3 meters distance? I´m noticing mine allways hugging the corner off the encloser in the direction where I store my cricket´s and if it adviseble to store them in a different room maybe to reduce stress?

Tarantulas use their hairs or webbing to sense movement. I don’t think their eye sight is very good at all.

There is a chance that’s just a warmer part of the enclosure and it’s a coincidence that the crickets are there. I wouldn’t bother moving them myself.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately with habitat destruction it will possibly get to a point where a lot of species are extinct in the wild and only available in the hobby.

You can use real plants in enclosures. It’s not worth it for a sling though as it’s enclosure wouldn’t be practical.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I ordered my Tarantula's, with turkistan roaches, substrate and some decorations.

So if I get this right, I'm gonna pack the lower level of substrate first, then water it, then pack more on top in case he wants to burrow.

I've seen some people say slings don't need a watering dish and some say they do. Apparently if they are really small you just spray water in the enclosure, but I'm not so sure about that. I think they would need a small watering dish even then?

Thanks.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Grammostola Pulchripes and brachypelma albopilosum both like it dry. I wouldn't bother making a moist layer. Just compact it. Slings don't need a waterdish but if you have space for it I would always recommend providing one.

They won't drown in a large waterdish but you can use a bottle top/ lego brick or pill buttons for a dish.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Grammostola Pulchripes and brachypelma albopilosum both like it dry. I wouldn't bother making a moist layer. Just compact it. Slings don't need a waterdish but if you have space for it I would always recommend providing one.

They won't drown in a large waterdish but you can use a bottle top/ lego brick or pill buttons for a dish.
Yaaay
I'm so excited!

OK I'll keep it dry

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So as I was preparing my cupboard for my two new T's, I found a little spider web with dead ants and a tiny little spider.
A week ago I'd have killed him. Now I appreciate and understand this little fella. What a difference learning about spiders and how they actually function can make.
Not sure how those ants got there, there are none and its' winter. Poor little guy probably hungry. Tried to find some ants around my house to feed him but to no avail. Do I just leave him? I bet he's hungry

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
V2OcH1M.jpg

Is this space big enough for a T, I realize it's a sling, but I'm thinking long term. Will this space ever be too small?
Dumbell and hand for scale
AZhmj9D.jpg

T location 2
qg8SR7d.jpg

little spooder that I found

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
This might be a stupid question, but seeing as this is my room I want to make sure.

Let's say my T's are in my room and someone sprays something like Raid in their room (which is opposite mine) could it harm my T's? I just need to cover every base and protect these little guys.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It'll be more than enough space for 2 slings. I'm assuming your placing enclosures in that space?

For slings I use either 12oz or 16 oz deli cups. People do also use vials but I prefer not to.

image.jpg
Above and below is a 16oz deli cup with a sling in it. with a Grammostola and a Brachypelma your slings will be fine in these for quite some time
image.jpg
below is an Exo terra breeding box small with my Grammostola Pulchra. I've had the Pulchra for about a year and it'll be fine in a smaller enclosure but I like this one and don't mind giving a larger enclosure than I need to. It will also stay in this enclosure for a few years yet, will possibly be in this enclosure till it reaches around 4inches diagonal leg span then I'll move it into a larger enclosure.
image.jpg

I don't spray anything at all in my room with the Ts and my window is always on vent for airflow. As long as it isn't extreme heavily sprayed in other rooms around you shouldn't have a problem but if something is being sprayed close the door and try to minimise the risk

Latest posts