• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.brocklehursti and A.geniculata time lapse.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Creating this thread to help keep track and compare my recently acquired acanthoscurria slings.
_20170604_091147.JPG
_20170604_090236.JPG
As you can see both are tiny still, should be close enough in size to start this time lapse together. We're gonna keep it simple and call the A.genic "Gene" and the A.brockle "Brock". Should be fun to watch them grow together.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hate to be a party pooper(I love parties)..but brockelhursti is just a name dealers came up with for A. geniculata that had regional color differences, collected from different areas. There was a paper on it..forgot the name. From what I could understand, that's the gist of it. There were no other relevant differences between specimens. Theres a thread on that other forum if you want to check it out, with links to the paper itself.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I hate to be a party pooper(I love parties)..but brockelhursti is just a name dealers came up with for A. geniculata that had regional color differences, collected from different areas. There was a paper on it..forgot the name. From what I could understand, that's the gist of it. There were no other relevant differences between specimens. Theres a thread on that other forum if you want to check it out, with links to the paper itself.
Well aware of that, I ordered the genic along with a few other Ts and the brocklehursti was a freebie, otherwise i wouldn't of ordered both of them. Since I now have 2 of the same genius, pretty much same T over all, I wanted to create a thread to keep track of both of them together. Not the most exciting project by all means but I thought it would be fun to keep track of both together since they're the same thing basically.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well aware of that, I ordered the genic along with a few other Ts and the brocklehursti was a freebie, otherwise i wouldn't of ordered both of them. Since I now have 2 of the same genius, pretty much same T over all, I wanted to create a thread to keep track of both of them together. Not the most exciting project by all means but I thought it would be fun to keep track of both together since they're the same thing basically.
Interesting project. By the time thay are all fully grown I will be an old man though*.....pmsl. Good idea though.

*some would say I already am!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Forgot to mention. You have named the genic the same as my male (Gene), my large adult female (7.5 inch last moukt) is called Genie (my fave T)

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Both gene and brock have molted over the weekend.
Gene.
KIMG1317.jpg
Brock is over due for a rehouse but wanted to wait till after this molt to transfer so that'll be next on my list of things to do.
KIMG1319.jpg

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Wow. Gene’s getting huge!! I love this post. It’s cool to see a time lapse of your “twins” Tgotty90!!
Thanks WolfSpider, for sure starting to get more interesting. Starting to think my genic is a male and the brocklehursti may be a female. They were roughly the same size when I got them, both have the same feeding schedule but genes almost twice the size as brock now and I don't think the species are too much different to have that much of a gap in growth rate.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a fine pair of genics. They're the same species. :rolleyes: Tarantula importers don't get to rename spiders:D Sorry, I can't help myself, I'm an ass.:T: Merry Christmas!

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Almost forgot about this thread, but just rehoused my other genic into a juvenile enclosure and sparked my memory. It's been awhile so probably missed a few instars but here they are now.

Brock (the supposed brocklehursti) lol its a genic, there is no difference between the two after raising them together.
KIMG1506.jpg

Gene, I was starting to think this one was a male because it has grown slightly faster then the other, but with the last molt I found that its a female!!!
_20180710_222418.JPG