• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A big female Smithi

Phobik1

3 Year Member
One of my latest add to the rapidly growing brood
20210121_194020.jpg
20210121_194152.jpg
20210121_194235.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looking good. Fantastic carapace markings. Looks very similar to some AF recently available in the UK which have come via Mexican breeders that carry CITES papers.

I may have had a bit of a splurge and got 4 AF (oops!)
Here is carapace markings on my 4 AF

Attachments

• 20210202_191238.jpg
    20210202_191238.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 14

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new addition :)
Great looking Ts.. Carapace markings on them varie due to the locality if they are South of the river balsa then they have lighter carapace markings to the north of the river they are darker and resemble more like a hamorii carapace :)
This is one of ours.. View attachment 53393
Nice. You sure know your Brachy's.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here i thought getting just 1 adult was splurging. You got 4. I guess when you know they are A true locality specific T you want to get a breeding group.
Yeah, have 16 B smithi now with breeding groups planned. All sexed as either male or female with exception of 2 small juvies so big plans for them and all the Brachypelma species too.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both of my smithis don't have cool markings. :confused: :( View attachment 53402View attachment 53403
I think they do, can clearly see that 'maple leaf' pattern that is often referenced as an indicator for B smithi.

When I saw the OP, I was almost certain that it was a picture from the UK import of CITES pure Mexican blood line spiders that arrived Dec 20 as the pattern is virtually identical to the 4 I got - and others in the hobby that I know who also got some.

Interestingly, 2x SA pairs I also have are a lot more like yours and are darker on the carapace and brighter in the leg colours... but they are younger and so that may be a feature anyway.

One of the SA males has a very distinct carapace marking though as it's virtually emilia like. (See pic).
20210202_230345.jpg

I guess a long winded way to say that smithi have a wider variety of carapace patterns, so no right or wrong, and are clearly more varied than what you would see in the more uniform markings of B hamorii. Thats my observations anyway :)
This is also worth a look. But may need to FFWD to the field footage.

Latest posts