• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Avic housing

I just purchased two a. avics that are approximately 2" - 2.5" and am wondering what size enclosure they should be in currently. I've included pics of their current set up, which I feel is too short. I believe they'd be much happier with a taller enclosure, considering how big they are. Also, should I include a small water dish at this point? I currently have a contact lens case lid as the water dish, but am unsure if this is appropriate in the small enclosure

Here are the pics I forgot to attach

Attachments

• 1590708450858751707381240626472.jpg
    1590708450858751707381240626472.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 15907084952198501756969962883116.jpg
    15907084952198501756969962883116.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 18

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those are terrestrial setups.

Avics that size should be in something 8-10" tall and 6"x6" wide / 8" in diameter, if round. Avics need cross ventilation.

That deli cup in the first pic is not good at all. In a pinch, a 32oz deli cup with holes on all sides could work but is not optimal.

Bottle cap water dishes are fine as long as they have constant access to clean water.

Once they web up their enclosures you can drop water into their webbing or drop water onto the sides for them to drink

Last edited:
Those are terrestrial setups.

Avics that size should be in something 8-10" tall and 6"x6" wide / 8" in diameter, if round. Avics need cross ventilation.

That deli cup in the first pic is not good at all. In a pinch, a 32oz deli cup with holes on all sides could work but is not optimal.

I definitely figured something taller would be better, but this was the cup they were being housed in at the pet store I bought them from. I had a feeling that was too short. Thank you!

Do you have a suggestion on a brand I should go for?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of us scrounge or diy juvenile housing out of other things. For your size avic I used an amac container with holes drilled on the sides for ventilation.
Some use old spice jars or other containers, plastic so holes can be drilled or melted with a soldering iron.
I've seen "commercial" arboreal enclosures on many vendors sites like PNW Arachnids or Jamie's Tarantulas, and on Etsy.
They need to move out of those 16oz cups asap

Most of us scrounge or diy juvenile housing out of other things. For your size avic I used an amac container with holes drilled on the sides for ventilation.
Some use old spice jars or other containers, plastic so holes can be drilled or melted with a soldering iron.
I've seen "commercial" arboreal enclosures on many vendors sites like PNW Arachnids or Jamie's Tarantulas, and on Etsy.
They need to move out of those 16oz cups asap

I'll be on the hunt tonight! Thank you!

Latest posts