• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A amazonica

noahdamngood

3 Year Member
My first Avic. If anyone can give me any info on these I would really appreciate it. There doesn't seem to be much info about the amazonica (or at least that I can find). I've run into a lot of partial or conflicting information. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 2015-02-12 13.29.05-1.jpg
    2015-02-12 13.29.05-1.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 34

Poec54

3 Year Member
There aren't care sheets for every species, which is good (as many are full of bad advice). Most are unnecessary, as there's only so many ways to keep tarantulas. You vary soil moisture, soil depth, and ventilation, & add what decorations you want. It's best if there's always a full water bowl.

I have 10 species of Avics, including Amazonica, and keep them all the same. 2nd instar slings (1/2") and up get a 16 oz deli cup with several rings of holes around the upper sides, an inch of dry substrate, a piece of plastic plant, and a small water bowl (plastic lid from a 16 oz water bottle). They'll make a silk sheet/tube near the top. I pry the lid up on one side for feeding and maintenance, using a 6" forceps. I usually put in 2 or 3 small crickets and the spider can come down and grab them when it's hungry. When they spider is going to shed, it'll seal up the ends of it's tube and any uneaten crickets won't be able to bother it. Up until about an inch, I'll give them a very light weekly mist on their silk, not anywhere else. It's for drinking, not humidity. Don't hose down the cage. When they get about 2", I upgrade them to a 32 oz deli cup, everything else the same.

The biggest killer of Avics in the US is moist, stuffy cages. The crucial mistakes people make is starting off with moist substrate and then over-misting. In the wild they live up in trees where there's breezes that dry out the tops of trees after rains. They don't live on the rain forest floor with puddles like terrestrials do.