• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

90% sure I was sold a misidentified sling

Bought a second T. Albo sling from my local pet store in the last few weeks. It molted today sometime before I came home and it's abdomen is covered in very red setae. I've never seen a curly hair with red hair, fairly confident it's not a thing. So I have no idea what this thing actually is. And I can think of at least three new world species of brownish black spiders with red butts. So this should be fun.

Any chance anyone's ever had a redheaded T. albopilosus sling? I'm waiting for it to harden up to see if it's leaning more brown or black and to get a picture.

I tried to get a good picture earlier and no luck. I could see their abdomen but couldn't snag a pic because my phone wouldn't focus. Once my toddler is asleep here in the next few minutes (I hope) I'll try again.

If it has red setae than most likely not a t albo, but it could possibly be a hybrid...

Ugh. I really, really hope it's just mislabeled, they also had B. vagans for example, and not a hybrid. I don't know what all T. albos can even hybridize with. I could definitely see their tarantula expert mislabeling something though.

He is stubbornly refusing to let me photograph his bum or him at all. After a couple of days when he finished hardening, the red is much less pronounced and is almost more copper. He still looks very different than my other curly hair sling did, but he does look more like a curly hair now. The guy at the store did also admit he could have mislabeled one of his T. vagans, and that he currently has both Honduran and Nicaraguan curly hairs as well. My understanding is their care is pretty similar, so my plan for now is that I'm going to wait out a molt or two, then see how he looks and figure out from there what he is. Unless he suddenly decides to stay out of his burrow long enough to snap a pic.

Tarantulafeets

He is stubbornly refusing to let me photograph his bum or him at all. After a couple of days when he finished hardening, the red is much less pronounced and is almost more copper. He still looks very different than my other curly hair sling did, but he does look more like a curly hair now. The guy at the store did also admit he could have mislabeled one of his T. vagans, and that he currently has both Honduran and Nicaraguan curly hairs as well. My understanding is their care is pretty similar, so my plan for now is that I'm going to wait out a molt or two, then see how he looks and figure out from there what he is. Unless he suddenly decides to stay out of his burrow long enough to snap a pic.
Maybe you can wait until you feed it after it hardens up, and snap a pic then?

Maybe you can wait until you feed it after it hardens up, and snap a pic then?
It came up against the edge of it's cube tonight and didn't dash all the way down so I finally got a few pictures of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_193443811.jpg
    IMG_20220321_193443811.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220321_193439033.jpg
    IMG_20220321_193439033.jpg
    861.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220321_193432917.jpg
    IMG_20220321_193432917.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts