• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

9.5" female T. stirmi in premolt

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Size comparison- carapace is bigger than a 50 cent piece.

IMG_20171016_195037203.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What are signs of premolt for T. Stirmi?

They usually stop eating. The bald spot on the abdomen turns black. Sometimes they kick their hair off their abdomen but Theraphosa are skittish and are prone to doing that at the slightest movement or if agitated.

MAGA2024

They usually stop eating. The bald spot on the abdomen turns black. Sometimes they kick their hair off their abdomen but Theraphosa are skittish and are prone to doing that at the slightest movement or if agitated.
The black spots on LP especially as slings I'm familiar with. However I have an adult female Stirmi and the spot on her butt is rusty (will attach photo). She was eating like crazy. Been several weeks since she last ate. She mostly stays in the same spot out in the open. If she does move it's extremely slow.

Attachments

• 20210206_215104.jpg
    20210206_215104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The black spots on LP especially as slings I'm familiar with. However I have an adult female Stirmi and the spot on her butt is rusty (will attach photo). She was eating like crazy. Been several weeks since she last ate. She mostly stays in the same spot out in the open. If she does move it's extremely slow.

Yeah mine went without food for a few months before she molted so don't be surprised about how long they fast. As long as she has water (and raise the humidity in her enclosure a bit) she will be fine. :)

MAGA2024

Yeah mine went without food for a few months before she molted so don't be surprised about how long they fast. As long as she has water (and raise the humidity in her enclosure a bit) she will be fine. :)
Wtf that's a long time. How long was her molting session? I've noticed that when I turn the heater on high, she tends to scale around wall of enclosure. She has plenty of substrate and water. Oddly she did web up the front of her hide a little bit, but hasn't been in it the last several weeks. She just stays out in the open.

Latest posts