• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 questions on feeders :)

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
First one is:
Does anybody have a way to get a water supply to tiny striped crickets without the dumbarses drowning in it?
Also, Do any/all ****roach nymph/ babies/ tiny ones dig at all?, I stopped feeding mini mealworms to my T's cus all they did is disappear under the substrate.

Thanks all :D

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
First one is:
Does anybody have a way to get a water supply to tiny striped crickets without the dumbarses drowning in it?
Also, Do any/all ****roach nymph/ babies/ tiny ones dig at all?, I stopped feeding mini mealworms to my T's cus all they did is disappear under the substrate.

Thanks all :D
Yes use water gel crystals it takes 1 oz by weight (@ 2 teaspoons) to make a gallon of the gel crystals. This will keep crickets and roaches from drowning. You should always crush the head/mandibles of meal/super worms. They will live for 2-3 days, wont burrow, and most important they wont come to the surface later and eat your molting T.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
Yes use water gel crystals it takes 1 oz by weight (@ 2 teaspoons) to make a gallon of the gel crystals. This will keep crickets and roaches from drowning. You should always crush the head/mandibles of meal/super worms. They will live for 2-3 days, wont burrow, and most important they wont come to the surface later and eat your molting T.
Oooooooh bugger me, good note, just need to get it on the net as no pet shop near me sells this stuff (oddly).
They eat bug grub, well, the powdery parts, the bulkier ingredients don't get eaten.
Suppose I could do that yeah, It's also easier to make mealworms smaller for my tiny T cus she wouldn't be able to take on one her bigger friends can.
Cheers :)

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
You could put a tiny rock in the dish for them to grab on or insert a damp cotton ball. Get red runner roaches, they're the best. Easy to reproduce and easily kept.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
You could put a tiny rock in the dish for them to grab on or insert a damp cotton ball. Get red runner roaches, they're the best. Easy to reproduce and easily kept.
**** me, cotton wool, how did I even manage to overlook that :oops:. I just put a pot of water in there with small holes in to ad some humidity without them drowning. Just need to find some kind of cotton wool in this bachelor pad o_O

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I give my crickets carrots, celery, apples, whatever I have in the fridge....I change it out every other day to avoid mold. I dont bother with water...they get enough moisture through the veggies.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
I switched to mealworms and it's driving me mental!!!.
My red rump is extremely picky about eating them, my centipede won't touch them, ghost ornamental is scared of them........ I give up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried putting a shot glass into my P Striata's enclosure and adding a mealworm, no luck. It was there untouched for more then a day.

When I pulled it and added a cricket, it vanished within a few hours. The bolus appeared within a web shortly thereafter.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
They're picky with everything. I can't get red runners where I am and delivery bumps up the cost of I order online.
Anybody had any luck with woodlice?. I can get a culture tub from my local pet place but I'm concerned they'll just burrow like mealworms do and I wanted a feeder that actively roams the enclosure so there's a far higher chance they'll come across each other.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
I found the last mealworm I put in for my centipede, it was dead and floating in the water dish...... she refuses to eat them so I'm gonna have to switch back to legged prey.