• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st Brood of a 1st Born

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
The last remaining unsold child from the 1st batch of my late H.hottentotta has finally given birth! Making her mama and me, proud :D

10003515_661441750581674_4830571010789971564_n.jpg

She's still in labor as i type this ^__^

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Wow...Ok, you are definitely someone I need advice from!

The last remaining unsold child from the 1st batch of my late H.hottentotta has finally given birth! Making her mama and me, proud :D

10003515_661441750581674_4830571010789971564_n.jpg

She's still in labor as i type this ^__^

I just got my first scorpion a few months ago...and it seems she was pregnant when I got her...so I am doing my best to prepare for something totally unexpected, but if you can give any advice I would really appreciate it...I'm an anxious mamma! I am already trying to find homes for when they leave her back. Shes an Asian Forest Scorpion.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Well the best advice I or anyone else keeping a scorp could give you is to just leave your scorp be. Scorps unlike Ts stress easily even with the slightest tap, bump or window light and a stressed, gravid scorpion could either labor in early and eat the babies or you'll end up having very few babies instead.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Well the best advice I or anyone else keeping a scorp could give you is to just leave your scorp be. Scorps unlike Ts stress easily even with the slightest tap, bump or window light and a stressed, gravid scorpion could either labor in early and eat the babies or you'll end up having very few babies instead.

Happy to report I did notice a huge difference between them right away, and I do leave her be. She def stresses faster and easier than my Ts...at night she just either eats/drinks, or she goes nuts trying to climb up the tank...

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Yes. Restlessness, paranoia, overdefensiveness is normal for gravid scorps regardless of species. It is a good idea to put a lot of hiding places though or darken her tank by temporarily covering the sides up til she gives birth

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Darkness makes her feel safe, just check it out every night with you phone flashlight so its not too bright

I'm usually up late and do, shes either eating (shes a hungry girl) or trying to be an escape artist. Calm during the day though. Her good appetite and energy give me positive feelings, but I still feel like an anxious grandmother. Lol.

Thanks for all the advice, no matter what I read online they never go into specifics like you need them to. I always prefer advice from someone who has experience.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Pregnancy behavior varies per species i guess. The one i got above, runs around in a funny panicked way when i open her tub. Never defensive just nervous. My P.trans was just lazy and rarely moved during her pregnancy and my H.longimanus, well just defensive and active as always

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Amazing photo up top! How're the babies doing? Got any spares ;)
Would love to see some more photos in our media gallery if you get a chance to upload some!

Quandry

3 Year Member
Lol I have always wanted a scorpion

You know, considering how many things I will hold and have, scorpions always made me oddly nervous. They're beautiful, but I won't hold the one we have for outreach, even if someone else is holding him and he's behaving just fine. Those babies are awesome, though!

Latest posts