• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

$10 Chilean Rose?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but here goes. Yesterday I was in a Petco (where the pets go?) and saw a T price list. On that list was Chilean Rose (unsexed) for $9.99 available to be ordered if the vendor has any. This seems too cheap. What questions should I be asking before I order one? Thanx for any advice.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
To be honest, I am not sure about big box store pricing and/or quality of animals. I have always avoided them. I would guess that they are selling very small slings for this price. I have seen 1-2" G. rosea for $30ish and up. You get what you pay for at a place like that. If you are looking for one, I have a real beauty available :) Idk, I hope this helps a bit.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Thanx. I was thinking the same way about it possibly being a sling. But at 10 bucks if I order one and don't want it, no harm no foul. I'm not obligated to buy it.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
I'm intrigued that a Petco store had a T price list. Did they have it displayed in the reptile area? Tarantulas are rarely ever found in big box stores near me.

Around a year ago Petcos near me got in "Tarantula Huts" which were tall plastic containers with a piece of foam at the bottom, a plastic plant, and a sling....there was a whole list of species they supposedly had available. I think the general consensus was that Petco really had no idea what they were selling, and slings were often mislabeled. They certainly didn't know how to care for the slings. After the initial wave of Tarantula Huts disappeared I never saw them in stores again. I think those were going for 19.99, so it's interesting that they would be selling a T for only 9.99 now.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
That's why I'm asking for advice. The price list was in their puter, not posted. The next cheapest T (I misremember which kind) was like around $25.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
I would start by asking them the size. It wouldn’t surprise me if they have no idea whatsoever, though. It could end up being a sling small enough to fit on the tip of your finger, and that would take years to reach adult size. Care is also different between slings and adults. Really depends on what you’re looking for.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have actually 'rescued' a T or two...maybe three from these places, never paid much and the smallest was 3", got my AF porteri I used to have, and a couple avics. The one in our closest pet shop town, a 'pet supermarket' sells the common types for next to nothing, (and keeps them in horrid conditions.) Legitimately stopped going in there so I would stop buying them.

Latest posts