• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1 new T and a few rehoused (funny tale included)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was going to buy a Grammostola pulchra 3 and a half years ago but I bought an L. sp Borneo Black instead, well today I finally got one.

Meet Massa, Love that fat shiny butt. It came from exoticanimals.co.uk.
DSCF4568 (2).JPG

Now for the rehouses

Pagan, Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. I though this one would cause me problems but it was actually quite calm.
DSCF4571 (2).JPG

Arusha, Encyocratella olivacea
DSCF4574 (2).JPG

Teko, Ephebopus rufescens. Nightmare :eek:. It did not want to caught. It ran up my arm and was briefly seen disappearing over my shoulder. I gently eased my fleece off and checked every inch but no sign of Teko, I shook my hair over the tub I use for rehousing, nothing. I spent the next half hour searching all around where I had been kneeling with my torch and not a sign. I even shook out the sheet I'd spread on the floor and no sign. As I only had one more T to rehouse I decided to do that first and then do a more intensive search after I'd moved the others and the empty containers out of the way.

Tamale, Davus pentaloris. This one was no trouble, thank goodness.
DSCF4577 (2).JPG

Back to Teko. I gradually checked all the outsides of the empty containers and moved them onto the dresser, for some reason I put Teko's separate. I gradually put everything away and shone the torch around corners, checked under the coffee table, round the fireplace, even inside the dogs bone. Not a sign of the escapee. Now what made me make my next move I have no idea, I looked at its old container again and was gobsmacked to see Teko sitting on the plant inside. I had previously taken the plant etc. out before it escaped and put it back afterwards. Teko then walked calmly off the old plant into its new home. How Teko got back in there without me seeing I have no idea but thank goodness I'd put the lid back on.
DSCF4583 (2).JPG

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was going to buy a Grammostola pulchra 3 and a half years ago but I bought an L. sp Borneo Black instead, well today I finally got one.

Meet Massa, Love that fat shiny butt. It came from exoticanimals.co.uk.
View attachment 28551

Now for the rehouses

Pagan, Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. I though this one would cause me problems but it was actually quite calm.View attachment 28552

Arusha, Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
View attachment 28553

Teko, Ephebopus rufescens. Nightmare :eek:. It did not want to caught. It ran up my arm and was briefly seen disappearing over my shoulder. I gently eased my fleece off and checked every inch but no sign of Teko, I shook my hair over the tub I use for rehousing, nothing. I spent the next half hour searching all around where I had been kneeling with my torch and not a sign. I even shook out the sheet I'd spread on the floor and no sign. As I only had one more T to rehouse I decided to do that first and then do a more intensive search after I'd moved the others and the empty containers out of the way.

Tamale, Davus pentaloris. This one was no trouble, thank goodness.
View attachment 28554

Back to Teko. I gradually checked all the outsides of the empty containers and moved them onto the dresser, for some reason I put Teko's separate. I gradually put everything away and shone the torch around corners, checked under the coffee table, round the fireplace, even inside the dogs bone. Not a sign of the escapee. Now what made me make my next move I have no idea, I looked at its old container again and was gobsmacked to see Teko sitting on the plant inside. I had previously taken the plant etc. out before it escaped and put it back afterwards. Teko then walked calmly off the old plant into its new home. How Teko got back in there without me seeing I have no idea but thank goodness I'd put the lid back on.
View attachment 28556
Sounds like you had a great experience

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like you had a great experience

Sheer panic :D

Ephebopus are one of the fastest NW's I have dealt with to date. they cover grand like an OW T. Glad you found him.

I had a cream fleece on so it was easy to see and boy did it shift. At least I'm forewarned for next rehouse.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great picture book story Ennie! So happy that Teko is safe. However, selfishly it is kinda cool that even experienced careful keepers have that rare “HOLY CRAP” moment.
I once found unexpectedly my P. subfusca juvenile in the roach bin webbed up in a vertically stacked egg crate. It seemed quite happy there. Still have no idea how it got out or when.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great picture book story Ennie! So happy that Teko is safe. However, selfishly it is kinda cool that even experienced careful keepers have that rare “HOLY CRAP” moment.
I once found unexpectedly my P. subfusca juvenile in the roach bin webbed up in a vertically stacked egg crate. It seemed quite happy there. Still have no idea how it got out or when.

Thank you. I've only been keeping Ts for 4 years so not really experienced but I am very careful. Teko was calm to begin with but just suddenly took off.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The very first tarantula I unpacked (Phlogius sp. 'stents') was seemingly laying in wait under the lid of the specimen jar to surprise me. As soon as I opened the lid it sprang out onto my thumb! So of course cool as a cucumber I carefully transferred it to its enclosure, or maybe I went "aaah" and threw vial and all like I'd grabbed a hot coal and had my wife in hysterics! It's hard to remember now ;)