• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1 Inch + lateralis

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got my 100 mixed lateralis roaches from Jamies and she tossed in a few mature and adults for free. I have no use for those, my largest T is ~2" and won't be able to eat them for a while. Anyone here need a half dozen or so adult lateralis 1" plus?

I can't give live guarantee, but i'll pay shipping just to get them off my hands, plus i can ship from the office for a discount :) I don't have enough Ts to start a colony of my own.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really? guess i'll keep them and feed them to the genic after he molts.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
not to mention, if it makes u feel better. u can crush the roaches head and it will keep it from hurting ur spider.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
not to mention, if it makes u feel better. u can crush the roaches head and it will keep it from hurting ur spider.
Good idea, i'll try that with the first one. Marley just molted so in a week or 2 i'll see if he'll eat one.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're simple to keep and breed, why not have your own food source on hand? Just a thought, I understand not everyone has a hundred spiders, but you could feed off the adults or sell them to keep your colony relatively small. They really are easy to keep, and i'm assuming if you ordered a hundred, you have more than a few spiders.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're simple to keep and breed, why not have your own food source on hand? Just a thought, I understand not everyone has a hundred spiders, but you could feed off the adults or sell them to keep your colony relatively small. They really are easy to keep, and i'm assuming if you ordered a hundred, you have more than a few spiders.
7 spiders. Roaches last like forever almost, i was getting tired of crickets dying out and meal worms turning into beetles. So i figured 100 mixed roaches would last us a few months. that's like 12 roachers per spider, 3 days apart. I really suck at math, so that's what 5 weeks give or take of food? granted they all eat every 3 days for that timeframe ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
7 spiders. Roaches last like forever almost, i was getting tired of crickets dying out and meal worms turning into beetles. So i figured 100 mixed roaches would last us a few months. that's like 12 roachers per spider, 3 days apart. I really suck at math, so that's what 5 weeks give or take of food? granted they all eat every 3 days for that timeframe ;)
Too each their own. I was resistant to having a roach colony at first, but after ordering a few times you'll realize that you keep a small colony anyway, between orders :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
True. i haven't really seen the number of roaches i have drop much over the last month or so that i've had them. I'll have to look into raising a colony and seeing what it takes.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's a bit more to it, but the basics are escape proof enclosure, egg cartons, food bowl with high protein food, like ground dog food, heat mat to get them breeding, water source and fruits and vegetables twice a week. :) I have dubia, laterallis, portentosa and javanica now. Roaches are kind of fun ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmmm, so i have stuff that could work i think, just need a heat pad and some deeper containers. I've been feeding them the calcium enriched cricket chow from flukers for gut loading crickets. that'll have to do since i got a 6lb jar for dirt cheap lol. would the water gel from flukers work for a colony water source? I have a few jars of that on hand already.

Is it the lateralis that you don't have to separate as the young will clean house and eat the droppings of the mature? or is that the Dubai i was reading that about?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That stuff all works. The main feed for all my roaches is either ground up Blue buffalo or Victor, whichever my dogs are eating at the time. Good, high protein dog food. I give them fruits and veggies every two weeks, not twice a week as I said earlier, mostly bananas and apples, some carrots sometimes. I supplement this with an occasional slice of pizza or unfinished sandwich :) From what I've read, those crystals will work fine. I just put rocks in a water bowl, I never get drowned roaches. Some people more experienced then me with roaches say that they can get most of their water from their food, like the fruits and veggies I mentioned. As far as cleaning the colony, i think all species of roach nymphs do that, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I know the basic method works fine, mine are all thriving and breeding :)

Fleas

3 Year Member
That stuff all works. The main feed for all my roaches is either ground up Blue buffalo or Victor, whichever my dogs are eating at the time. Good, high protein dog food. I give them fruits and veggies every two weeks, not twice a week as I said earlier, mostly bananas and apples, some carrots sometimes. I supplement this with an occasional slice of pizza or unfinished sandwich :) From what I've read, those crystals will work fine. I just put rocks in a water bowl, I never get drowned roaches. Some people more experienced then me with roaches say that they can get most of their water from their food, like the fruits and veggies I mentioned. As far as cleaning the colony, i think all species of roach nymphs do that, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I know the basic method works fine, mine are all thriving and breeding :)
Never once have I gave my Roche's water gel or just pure water they get all of their water from broccoli, lettuce, cucumber, and the occasional orange. Am really curious about what kind of pizza you'll giving them some people mention that poultry is no good for them

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I give them a piece of supreme or Hawaiian, that's the kind I like;) Or leftover sandwich. I gave them a sausage biscuit the other day. Just people food in general. They seem to love bread occasionally.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I give them a piece of supreme or Hawaiian, that's the kind I like;) Or leftover sandwich. I gave them a sausage biscuit the other day. Just people food in general. They seem to love bread occasionally.
my current pizza weakness is the garlic sauce chicken tomato from papa murphys, but i swap out the tomato wiht pineapple. I'm sure the roaches would love that ;)

So it looks like all i need is a deeper container for them and i'll have my own colony.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_20151230_031745.jpg
my current pizza weakness is the garlic sauce chicken tomato from papa murphys, but i swap out the tomato wiht pineapple. I'm sure the roaches would love that ;)

So it looks like all i need is a deeper container for them and i'll have my own colony.
They would indeed. But Fleas is saying poultry is no good, and I've heard the same about tomatoes. Mine seem to do alright, but they don't get pizza often, mostly dog food and fruit, with some veggies thrown in. They do seem to love bread though, it always seems to disappear first. I just checked on my E javanica/ G portentosa colony, they seem to be thriving together, occupying the same space and theres no dead or damaged roaches in there, so that's awesome. Here's a pic. Theres twelve halloween hissers and six madagascan hissers, plus a few babies of each..captive bred right here at Mass's roach farm.

IMG_20151230_031640.jpg

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Those are cool roaches :) I found a 12" deep sterlite container at Fred Meyer last time i was there. Forgot i bought it, found it in the cargo area of my jeep yesterday. I now have a lateralis colony starting :)

I still have 8 or 10 dubai, might as well start them going also as my GBB is going nuts over them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sweet! i think the worst part will fishing out the size i need for my slings :)
If you're talking about the laterallis, I've been just tapping a carton over a small catch cup. Easy enough to pick the size you need out of that. Fast little guys, after dealing with dubia and hissers.:)

Latest posts